240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Engine and Drive-line Tech

Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 PM
240sxONE Member

Default An RB20 fell in my lap, and I have a few concerns.

I have recently received a motor that was running fine until a ticking started in the head in the 1st cylinder, then was immediately driven home, parked and pulled from the car. It has sat since. Im getting the motor to my house and from there planning on fixing that tick and getting it ready to run in my coupe in the future.

I have, and rb20det with no harness or turbo manifold/turbo, or plumbing.
i also have a good rb20 head, and a spare intake manifold.
I plan on just getting it all back together harness/plumbing/ turbo/ecu and finding a transmission.

I know the RB20 has oil problem and can get bent valves. I also know they can have very loud injectors but i trust my friends judgment and im assuming it has to do with the valves. I have only owned 3 Ka24de cars, so any advice as to what i can do to get this all going would be appreciated.

would this be a solid start to get an rb going or should I find a running swap with everything there? Im just seeing if this is worth the fight

Last edited by ryan516; 10-15-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:29 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: An RB20 fell in my lap, and I have a few concerns.

I heard you can use KA trans and driveshaft with rb20s... but I don't know ****
Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 PM
240sxONE Member

Yeah you can with modifications. Im just trying to figure out if i should build this thing or sell it and put that cash toward a winter beater so i can get my coupe off the street for a rebuild. I would love to run this motor but i would need a harness, plumbing, turbo, and new belts and what not. How much of a demand is there for RB parts?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:05 PM
240sxONE Member

Well I just swapped my RB20 out of my skyline for a 25, so I have a turbo, manifolds, ecu and stuff if you are looking to buy. Might even be willing to part with my RB20 trans. I don't know how much of a rush you are in but I'll be in Leominster MA for thanksgiving week and can bring stuff with me. Right now I am in NY for school.

You seem like you have a decent start for a swap. What's your budget look like? Harness' can get pricey, I re-used my 20s harness but I know 25 harness go for like 500 bucks from wiring specialties.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:49 PM
240sxONE Member

I might have an extra wiring harness for the rb20, but have to go through all the wiring I got. I just got an 89 with an rb20 that is half swapped and a box of wiring harnesses and was told there are 2 complete ones.

I think I have an extra MAF for one as well