240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 05-30-2011, 07:43 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Pain-in-the-asS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster240 View Post
nice build.

are you going titanium or iridium for your muffler bearings?
Neither. Adamantium nickel alloy is a much stronger compound for the stress that component has to endure.

Airj0ckey (6:31:30 PM): it's a bitch motor...you just slap it more to make it work harder
Airj0ckey (6:32:06 PM): but your treating it like a wife motor
Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 PM
240sxONE Member

Wolverine S30.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 AM
240sxONE Member

Oh the good old L28 days.........Wow you got some gutz man.

The world?F@$KTHE WORLD
Old 05-31-2011, 08:12 AM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionbstard View Post
Oh the good old L28 days.........Wow you got some gutz man.
It's a nice, simple engine to work on, just a bit hard to find good parts for. I'd rather go RB, but this one will be good for now.

Airj0ckey (6:31:30 PM): it's a bitch motor...you just slap it more to make it work harder
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingpariah View Post
Slowly but surely, it'll get there. I'm shopping for an s30 chassis now. I hate you.
I seem to evoke hate and shopping trends from you often, lol.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM
240sxONE Member

hey I had my share of l26 and l28s.Super simple and awesome motors.I still love them with all my heart.lol.
I still remember the OS cylinder head mod.Man anyone who owns one to this day.Has gold.
Dual over head cams.Man it was food for gods.
But now I am into High revs.10k+ if not i don't build it.lol.
Even tho
I still have all the respect in the world for L28s.I have used L series motor parts on skylines.Love them
Keep it as it is bro.that car doesn't need more then 2.8 litrs.Specially now that you turbo it.
one thing I would do is lower it.But mad proms

The world?F@$KTHE WORLD

Last edited by actionbstard; 06-02-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionbstard View Post
Keep it as it is bro.that car doesn't need more then 2.8 litrs.Specially now that you turbo it.
one thing I would do is lower it.But mad proms
Thanks!

Yeah, the plan was to fit it with adjustable coilovers this coming winter.

It doesn't *need* more than 2.8L, but then again an RB would be a step "down" in that case unless it was an RB30. I still want DOHC and a better flowing head. Even a stock KA24DE flows better than a ported L28 head by a considerable margin.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Unregistered

Send a message via Skype™ to drummingpariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDrinkZed View Post
I seem to evoke hate and shopping trends from you often, lol.
I've been fighting the s30 bug since I sold off my last one (ok fine, my last two) and left Cali. They really don't exist out here, so picking one up will likely mean flying to Arizona or New Mexico, buying something in decent condition, driving it back here, and spending a few months doing a basic ground-up rebuild. Then the upgrades will start, and both my social health and my bank account's health will be destroyed.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingpariah View Post
I've been fighting the s30 bug since I sold off my last one (ok fine, my last two) and left Cali. They really don't exist out here, so picking one up will likely mean flying to Arizona or New Mexico, buying something in decent condition, driving it back here, and spending a few months doing a basic ground-up rebuild. Then the upgrades will start, and both my social health and my bank account's health will be destroyed.
Worth it? Yes.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 PM
240sxONE Member

It's been so long since this thing has been "grounded" that it barely feels like I'm working on a car anymore... Bodywork is the worst. I love welding, but I wish I didn't have to do so much of it on the car itself.

The oil pan I bought was almost more trouble than it was worth, with the amount of modifications I had to make just to get it to work. I ended up having to cut two holes in the back to clear the rear main ARP studs and weld two "bumps" back in to seal it. The windage tray I procured from the company that made the pan was for a later model so it didn't fit the pan, meaning I had to hack it up quite a bit. I had to pickup that would fit, so I took one of my 280z oil pickups and a junk KA24DE (240sx) pickup and sectioned both of them to give me one longer one. I clearanced the pickup about 200 times by packing a 1/8" thick pancake of clay into the pickup box and bolting the pan up to make sure it was sitting close to parallel and not crushing into the floor of the pan. With any luck, this will work well.

Welding has been an absolute pain, at least for the engine bay. I had to reconstruct the battery tray from several pieces of new metal. I originally had just one, perfectly cut and fit piece. However, once I started tacking it everything went to hell, and I had to cut some of the excess that wouldn't form to the original curve. Whether this is because I mis-measured or the welds stretched it, I don't know. I had to tack in another piece so it looks like a mess.

My new plumbing has so far been ridiculously easy to assemble, I don't know what all the fuss is about. We'll see if I start eating my words when the engine springs multiple leaks when I start breaking it in.

These are stock colors, right?