240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 09-18-2017, 06:35 AM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: third times the charm.

small updates, this build is moving at a snails pace but little bit at a time I guess.
I got the door panels looking shinny and fixed up the cracked vinyl best I could, and now on the fence about just sending them out to have the fabric done by someone who knows what they're doing, but I'll have to see how much that'd run me before I decide to muck with it my self.

next thing substantial I've gotten done is trying to figure out my motor situation, trying to make a deal for a bigger parts buy with enjuku or
240sxmotoring and make something finally happen with this paper weight.
so I tired to look at building a s14 ka I had picked up but it was in a shop fire and my machine shop said no go because of the very good odds that the motor would be warped somewhere.
so I got a s14 ka "running" swap that looked pretty clean (see above).
I had decided to do what any half brained decent 240 owner would do, take it apart and do the oil pump, timing chain and general maintenance before dropping her in.....I was dead wrong *shocker* lol
I started by pulling off the intake and engine accessories, drop the pan and rotate the engine by hand to make sure it all turned at least.

started with finding this in the pan and signs of it siting long.

so at first I was like its probably an upper guide seeing as those have a reputation for breaking off, nope it was the entire lower guide and both the uppers had actually been removed already.

the oil pump took a huge beating and a TON of cracks in the rear pump housing cover which leads me to wonder how the oil pressure was... and then I found that a prior person had tried to dick with the oil filter pressure relief bypass valve (idk if that's the actual name)
so its safe to assume that this had some oil pressure issues, so next I'm gonna take it down to the block and if it doesn't look to bad I'll take it to the machine shop too see what the verdict is and maybe my cheap N/a build thought will just go the original turbo build thought process instead.

My boss breathing down my neck to finish the car

Old 09-21-2017, 07:12 PM
240sxONE Member

Finally got some loose ends coming together!
got hooked up with a very good price through a work buddy and got my s13 tranny rebuilt, and my s15 hlsd diff installed with all new seals and all the adjustments made correctly. (because I was pretty sure I'd mess that part up)

not really digging the color's but nothing that I cant repaint.
Made a parts trip today and found this boss a$$ road

My wheels and tires all coming together and already shipped out for mounting and balancing tonight with a buddy
finally staring to get this financial mistake rolling lol

anyone wondering they're xxr 527 17x8.25+25 with 235/40r17
mostly so I dont have to roll my fenders hard or at all because I'm dumb and did all the body work and paint oops.

and no good news would be compete without the bad news, I tore the s14 ka all the way down and the bearings are smoked, bad.
the shinny side up is that the crank doesnt look too bad and should be able to be machined, new bearings and be on the other side of the hump.

I mean what the hell was I thinking that a 20 year old motor for $400 being told by a stranger that it was drop in ready, wouldn't be straight to roll with silly me
Old 09-30-2017, 06:30 AM
240sxONE Member

I got my wheels back and got super hooked up, and then my guy offers me a really good deal on a used B&M shifter so I couldn't pass that up

took apart the shifter, cleaned out all the old grease and repacked it...hopfully it wont have the dreaded rattle but the whole car will probably rattle anyway so meh

I finally got off my a$$ and I've been putting off some work because I really don't want to do it because of how much of a pain I know its gonna be but I finally got my big main brake line all replaced, I've very happy with how the job went and was shocked out easy it went.
I had a big pinch in the factory line so I pulled it out about a year ago now lol for anyone interested its 3/16 brake line use copper its expensive but its mint to work with, I also used the Eastwood on car brake double flaring tool and made this job idiot proof which is great because I'm terrible at flaring lines with those $10 advanced auto kits. and the fittings were 10m by 1.0
there seemed to be a little confusion about the fitting size on some of the older forums out there.
enough talk picture time!

It looks a little funny where it is in the bay but trust I bolted up the other line and made sure it fit lol it just looks funny because I'm involved
sent the motor off to the machine shop and waiting on news from that and then time to sell my soul for parts.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:23 AM
240sxONE Member

Finally picked up some gear oil and now that the brake line is finished in the rear I installed the diff, may not sound like much but its a pain doing it solo and on the ground. FYI gear oil called for from factory for a s15 hlsd is 80w-90API GL-5 without LSD additives.

only other real up date to show is my gauges, I swapped over the covers, buffed & cleaned it up, and worked some sharpie magic on the needles lol
also ordered some LED bulbs for it, some clear white ones none of that ricey crap.

the machine shop hit me back and said that the engine was a good to go donor for a rebuild so I'm in the middle of ordering stuff for that too
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
240sxONE Member

I finished up the LED's in the gauge cluster and figured I'd share. My wiring is all torn semi apart still so I wanted to bench test the bulbs to make sure everything was working before install and I couldn't find much on where to test in the FSM or online.
After about 30min of probing wires I figured out that you just connect ground and power to either side of the cluster wiring board and find the sweet spot it'll light up all the back lighting at once.
a little note, the clock will light up too but only excepts the power in one direction.

I did all of these and the one for the clock but it came out a bit more blue...

Old lights

part numbers and specs for anyone who likes