240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: third times the charm.

Buy a spare, and when you're putting the spare in start ponying up for a cd009 and never look back.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 PM
240sxONE Member

I finally got some small stuff rolling while waiting for my motor, first up I made a cap for the center vent so I won't be blowing hot air/ hvac on gauges and loosing my air behind the dash. Cut a piece out of a rear interior panel, epoxyed it twice for a good seal, ground down to a better shape and sealed up with cold weather house hvac 3m tin foil tape.

Next up I repainted/ dyed the headliner, visors and the dome light. Was a lot of prep work, And adhesion promoter. Used vht fabric and vinyl dye.

That's it for now, gonna start playing with the dash and door panels next.

Last edited by ttec346; 08-07-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: fixing pictures.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:11 AM
240sxONE Member

Those visors and headliner came out sweet! Do you have a diy link or anything? I would like to do that to my stuff.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 AM
240sxONE Member

I put some love into the dash a couple weeks back but didn't post it because "life" been busy dealing with everything else that's not car stuff lol
But I'm finally getting some stuff going, ordered some goodies and hopefully some good progress pics within a month

The dash pics enjoy

Did some searching and picked up two ka's in rough shape, a ka tranny and a 300zx na tranny all for $650 can't go wrong for that price. Good donor parts.
Started working back on the chassis and put the bay harness back into place and *not pictured* got most of the front end back on.

Last edited by ttec346; 08-07-2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: fixing pictures.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:05 AM
240sxONE Member

Thanks @Stealth240sx! I don't have a DIY but I'd be more then happy to help point you in the right direction.
so take the headliner out of the car with the dome light, visors, clips, basically everything that mounts to the ceiling.
Clean everything very thoroughly with a painting all prep cleaner, if you think its clean enough it probably still isn't, I spend several hours cleaning the parts and the head liner is a pain to clean without damaging it, I put the all prep spray onto a new micro fiber cloth and cleaned it with that and even went as far as using a lint roller on the headliner to get years of pet/ human? hair out of it lol
don't forget to tape off and use a razor blade to tape off anything you don't want painted.
Then you really need to use adhesion promoter, this is very key to a good job that wont flake in the future. don't even need anything over board, I used duplicolor adhesion promoter because of it being middle of the road in cost for it and decent name to it.
then I used VHT vinyle dye, you don't really want a paint for the headliner, you want more of a dye it will soak into the fabric better and will again not flake as bad in the future.
Only other thing I would stress is use about 3 light coats of the adhesion promoter, 3 -4 coats of the dye going very light and finishing with a medium coat. and cleaning and the preparation is very key. follow the directions on the cans and # of coats will depend on how dark you want it and your coverage.
could probably do all the above for about $100 in supplies give or take a little.
hope this helps
Old 07-21-2017, 03:19 PM
240sxONE Member

Well I guess photo bucket wants to charge now to allow third party sharing, anyone know of any other way to post pics ?
Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 PM
240sxONE Member

Use imgur instead.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:47 PM
240sxONE Member

thank you @chubbs
Old 08-07-2017, 01:31 PM
240sxONE Member

So I fixed all the pictures best I could and changed over to imgur
picked up a better running working s14 ka with tranny all in good shape for $400 so now I gotta swap some of the s13 ka crap over but definitely heading the right direction.
But best of all I got pics, after a lot of little crap I got the rear end back together and most of the front end is put together.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 PM
240sxONE Member

Got all my power steering return lines installed, and the bay harness all put in place. Doesn't sound like much but this car was missing a lot when I got it so I've had to track down a lot of little stuff that's been missing.

Fixed the license plate bolts

And I'm semi broke for the next week or two and waiting for some parts to come back to me, so I saw these online and decided to make my own.
Clean up the stripped interior look a little and might cut down the interior noise a little.

Tried to make the first ones out of plexiglass but it ended badly and wasn't user friendly to work with.

So I turned to sheet metal and picked up tin shears, was way easier to work with.

Put some left over x-matting on the backside.

Painted the exterior side and bolts

It's nothing crazy but it's cheap and took up some time lol