240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > General Tech and Style Chat

Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 PM
240sxONE Member

Default S13 kouki hatch tail lights.

I've been swishing around this idea in my head for a wile now and figure id grab up some opinions.

S13 hatch kouki tails; If you own a hatch 99% of you want these and i know i am one of them. For those who know, and those who dont, the tails go for around 450-750 Used/new all depending on the market. On zilvia ive seen 600+ for used sets and then ive seen 400 for a used set but those go in about a day. Companies that do stock these OEM kouki tails commonly have fluctuating inventories which sucks, but is expected. These tail lights look amazing on a hatch and kind of change the entire language of the back of the car, in my opinion. Those of us on budget or just cannot justify a 600 purchase of tail lights for there hatch track slut or daily driver, there has to be a better way.

So my question to you guys is; what about a set of imitations. For obvious copy right reasons we cant make exact ones but what about a set that is close. Ebay has a few sets that are along the idea but over all look like a pile of rotting ****. Does anyone have the means to make a tail light? if so what are the opinions about using existing 240 lights and making a new rear valance out of fiber glass or some kind of plastic.

I realize that this sounds cheap but if they were to cost 150-250 with valance id think there is some room for some decent profit here. And i think people have to get over their JDM egos, especially you rub a wall or crack a set of kouki tails your not going to be a very happy camper.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:20 AM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: S13 kouki hatch tail lights.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/240sx/p...oducts_id=3475

best priced i help my firend buy a set when it was on sale with 100off

so with shipping he paid around 420

my for sale thread
Old 07-30-2011, 12:32 AM
240sxONE Member

+1 for replicas
Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 AM
240sxONE Member

im interested in this.. want to see pictures of the outcome
Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 AM
240sxONE Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Jspec603

I'm pretty sure that you'll find if you try and make a set of one off taillights that even comes close to the quality of the Ebay versions, you'll most likely end up spending the same cost +/-.

The Kouki tails are expensive due to the fact that they are OEM and have to be imported. So, with all things imported, real deal product, you have to pay to play.

IMO, if your going to be tracking a vehicle and are worried about smashing your taillights, keep them stock. Stock tails are a dime a dozen. Or get a set of nasty Ebay ones and run those, as they are cheap as well.
Check out http://www.fujiispl.com, now carrying Nardi and Personal steering wheels and Works Bell hubs! Also new, SPLPARTS adjustable arms and much much more! Don't forget about those High Pressure PS Lines!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspec603 View Post
I'm pretty sure that you'll find if you try and make a set of one off taillights that even comes close to the quality of the Ebay versions, you'll most likely end up spending the same cost +/-.

The Kouki tails are expensive due to the fact that they are OEM and have to be imported. So, with all things imported, real deal product, you have to pay to play.

IMO, if your going to be tracking a vehicle and are worried about smashing your taillights, keep them stock. Stock tails are a dime a dozen. Or get a set of nasty Ebay ones and run those, as they are cheap as well.
I completely agree with the price of kouki tails and understand why they are expensive. Just what im trying to solve is the hassle of getting them and 600 is a lot for tails and a set of replicas i think everyone would just be very happy to see for obvious price reasons and overall market abundance. I also have no idea what goes into making a tail light, but if anyone has the means to make them id be willing to put in some computing time to crunch designe numbers. Even just as a different tail light option other then stocks and koukis, because im not a big fan of the stock lights i think they look like poop. And most ebay ones look worse. So just a new tail light that has relevance to the kouki lights i think would catch on.

Last edited by Sr20SilviaS13; 07-30-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:28 AM
240sxONE Supporter

Your heart is in the right place.

The next best thing to koukitails if u don't have the loot to get down tf: red out the stock tail lights.

Save your money to buy the real thing or save your $ for functional mods or save up for a proper paint job.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:56 PM
your manager of serious internet business

You could make replicas but you wont make them cheap.

There are two things you need to make CHEAP replicas of things
1. a Chinese Manufacturing facility (or a facility in some other location with with hundreds of cheap laborers)

2. a willingness to make 10,000+ of your product so you can save money on the economy of scale.

-----------

The reason you wont see cheap replicas is simple, the plastic needs to be molded, a proper plastics mold set will run you about $10,000-$12,000... the reason for the cost is that they're usually machined out of large hunks of aluminum, and they need to be engineered properly for the injection molding process. even then you haven't even bought the raw plastic to make them nor the machines to use them or the laborer to run the machines and assemble the parts.

Once you've made that huge investment you'll need to use the molds until they're exhausted to get your money's worth (10,000+ units).

Making them in small quantities can be done by other means, however the alternative manufacturing procedures for small quantities are usually reserved for hand made custom or prototype parts and the cost to make a single set of lights will end up costing MORE than just buying a legit pair.

-----------------

I've been down this road before as I researched making replacement/replica video game console cases in colors other than what was offered originally... Even after talking to several plastics manufacturers and researching the techniques to do it myself I wound up discovering that making 100 cases would AT THE CHEAPEST cost ME ~$450 per case...

now keep in mind that if I were to sell them for a profit I would have to charge more than that... this was also about 8 years ago, and those cases were only a fraction of the involvement of making taillights (since they were really just 2 separate pieces with no assembly required).

SilviaV8 Forums | CollectorsEdition.org | My Blog | My Build Thread | My For Sale Thread
Old 08-11-2011, 01:50 AM
240sxONE Member

didnt realize so much went into it. thanks for the info mike always much appreciated.