240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > General Tech and Style Chat

Old 07-17-2011, 08:15 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Rain-X Headlight Restoration Kit Review

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima that I purchased in 2008. Not long after I purchased it, I started to notice that my headlights were beginning to cloud or haze. I ignored it for a while, but soon it started to affect my driving at night.

I finally decided to fix it and rather than buy new headlights I figured I'd try a restoration kit first.

I went to autozone and there are kits available from a number of manufacturers including;

Turtlewax ($8.99)

Rain-X ($16.99)

Meguiar's (24.99)

Mother's (29.99)

The Rain-X and Turtlewax kits contained pretty much the same stuff. The more expensive kits come with drill attachments for buffing.

I chose the Rain-X kit mainly because of brand recognition. But I'd be curious of how the well the turtlewax kit works at half the price.

The Rain-X kit contains 1 bottle of lubricant, 1 bottle of sealant, 1 bottle of restorer, 3 polishing pads of different grits, 1 polishing cloth.

The process is pretty straight forward. First you have to clean the headlight well using soap and water and then dry it.

Step 1: Spray the headlight with the lubricant and using polishing pad #1, polish the headlight in a diagonal direction.

This first step creates a yellowish film over the headlight as it removes the top layer of oxidation. After polishing in both directions, you must clean the light removing the yellow film. At this point the light may look worse, but keep the faith, it gets better.

Step: Using the lubricant and polishing pad #2, polish the head light in an up & down direction. This step creates a white film. After polishing the light, you must clean it to again remove the film. At this point your light will most like not look much better than when you started. The yellowish oxidation will most likely be gone, but the light will still be somewhat cloudy.

Step 3: Using the lubricant and polishing pad #3, polish the headlight in a diagonal direct. This step again creates a slight white film. After polishing, clean the light again. Your light will still be cloudy at this point. Again, don't be alarmed....

Step 4: Apply the headlight restorer onto the provided polishing cloth and rub onto the headlight in a circular motion. Repeat until all haze is removed. Once, completer, wash light with water and wipe clean. This is when the light starts looking better and you'll stop wondering if it actually works.

Step 5: Apply the sealant to a soft towel or paper towel. i chose a paper towel. After applying, remove excess with dry towels. In this last step your light will finally pop and should look amazing compared to the other.

Repeat steps 1-5 on the other head light and enjoy the results.

It took about an hour for me to complete both headlights. Well worth the time and the $16.99 it cost for the kit. Keeping this in mind, I highly doubt the "as seen on tv" head light restore kits actually work. Especially since the claim it's as simple as wipe on and wipe off.

Below are some of my before and after pictures. Enjoy!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Rain-X Headlight Restoration Kit Review

Wow! What a difference. I've been skeptical myself about some of those kits but seeing this is great!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 PM
240sxONE Member

My brother bought the mothers kit and that stuff works awesome. Brought an opaque, rough light back to brand new and shiney. Also, since it uses a power drill no elbow grease needed
Old 07-17-2011, 09:59 PM
240sxONE Member

Another thing that will work is a metal polish like this:

It's a wax on, wax off type of deal like others. Only problem with using just a liquid is that you'll wind up having to do it down the road again (in maybe a handful of months)
Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 AM
240sxONE Member

I used the mothers kit on the Evo and had awesome results.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 AM
your manager of serious internet business

I've used "Blue Magic" in the past and it works great... and it's pretty cheap

here's a pic of my VehiCROSS about half-way through using Blue Magic.

I'd highly recommend a kit that includes a separate sealer as without that your headlights will be foggy and yellow again after 6-8months.

So I suppose it depends how much your time is worth... I still have a good half a bottle of that blue magic stuff left and I must have done 4-5 sets of lights (granted that's doing some lights TWICE because the hazing came back). with a sealer you'll spend more but wont have to do it over again either...

SilviaV8 Forums | CollectorsEdition.org | My Blog | My Build Thread | My For Sale Thread

Last edited by twistedsymphony; 07-18-2011 at 11:29 AM.