240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Wild Steves KA-T Coupe Build

I was in the market for some time and kept seeing this coupe pop up on craigslist. Conveniently, the day after Christmas I was traveling to Worcestor to see Andrew W.K. and called this guy and stopped to look at it, which in turn, lead me to leave a deposit with him.

Its a 90 coupe. Horribly painted flack black, pretty rust free as the car is from South Carolina. It was CA18 swapped, terribly. I cannot say enough bad things about the previous owner. However, I had 0 desire to keep the CA, and it hurt his feelings.

The next night, Travis (flatout) picked me up, and we went and picked up the car. The following day he stopped by again to take a look in the daylight. With a handful of tools, and my driveway, We took off a few things, the PVC intake, some zip tied on vacuum lines, ghetto wires and grounds that were present for no reason...and were left with this

That night I borrow an engine hoist, and the next day we pulled the eyesore that was the "best engine to put in a 240, this is a 12 second car"

Over the next week or two, the disassembly had begun, took the whole front end apart, and started clearing out the engine bay. At some point in this time, we compression tested the CA, one cylinder had 5 psi. So I sold the engine, trans, hacked harness' and ecu.

Cut up some trailer fenders, and had travis weld in the tubs.

Here I am supervising:

A rough version of the final product

Everything else was ripped out of the engine bay, and the car was transported to a friends shop where it would under go seam sealing, bondo and paint, none of which I would be doing:

My friends who I employed to do the bay work for me thought the tubs would look better seamless. Needless to say, I agreed with their decision

Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Wild Steves KA-T Coupe Build

Somewhere in the mess of that happening, I went and bought paint. Its something close to Plum Crazy Purple, which is what I wanted, but I got essentially the single stage version, this is the best representation of it I could get with my iphone.

In my travels I had came across this:

S13 KA24DE, fully built. Long story short, the kid bought it off someone else who had it built, and has no paper work for it. It was for a good deal, so I took the gamble.
Pulled the oil pan, assembly grease still on it, cylinder walls looked good, blah blah.
Longblock goodies include:
Wiseco Forged Pistons
Eagle H-Beam Rods
Brian Crower 262 Cams
MLS head gasket
ARP main studs
ARP head studs
Balanced and Polished Crank
Oil pan tapped for return, with -10 braided line

It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Caught wind that I knew someone parting out their build, so I stopped by to pick up some goodies:

Bullseye T3/T4 .50trim turbo
CX Racing Tubular Manifold
Tial 38mm wastegate
Godspeed Intake Manifold
OBX Fuel Rail
Bosch 1000 Injectors

Rough mock up:

Another week or two had gone by, and everything was finished and ready for paint.
Meet up with Travis where the car was, and he sprayed the bay and valve cover:

Stopped back by my buddies to pick up some avid mounts, and he threw in some braided lines I would've needed. Also snagged up a tomei oil cap.

The car wasn't back to my house yet, so I did some more rough mock ups. Traded some wickedflush stickers for the alternator and bracket, impulse homies hooked up the waterpump pulley, put on the avid mounts:

It had now dawned on me the blue fuel rail was hideous, so I stripped off the annodizing and shined it up.

Also sanded the letters down on the valve cover

Last edited by chubbs; 12-03-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 PM
240sxONE Member

At this point, Travis trailored the car back to my house for me, and dropped it off.

It was time to start the grueling process of labeling the chassis harness for my tuck.

Once that was finished, i set the harness in place:

The fusebox will be in the glove box, and adjusted whent he dash goes back in.

Last friday I went and snagged up a set of bricks. Too good of a deal to pass up.

I worked feverishly friday night and on sunday I finished up my wire extensions on the passenger side.

Last night I worked feverishly and got my driver side done, buttoned it up today after work.

I am extremely pleased with the way it came out, although part of me wishes I listened to Travis and Tyler (b00stinbmx) when they told me it sucks and not to do it.

I have a Competition White Bunny Clutch sitting in a box under the KA, plans are to bolt everything together next weekend and put the engine and trans in the car.

Last edited by chubbs; 07-02-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:22 PM
240sxONE Member

You suck
Old 07-02-2014, 07:28 PM
240sxONE Member

Very nice build
Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 AM
ONE

Send a message via AIM to sdaigle240

well hay now, this lil turds pretty sweet.
ZErOSTyLE

MJL
Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 PM
240sxONE Member

Thanks Daigle.

Waiting for some fancy hardware, I decided to take my fenders out of my room and spend some time with the bag of zip ties. No major updates, although I think Travis is coming over sunday to help me run brake lines. I had the pleasure of hammering the bottoms of the fenders where they bolt to the car and that area flat because the previous owner decided that was a wonderful place to jack up the car.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:27 PM
240sxONE Member

You can't tell in the picture of the bricks, but one of them was broken and the person I purchased them from included the new glass piece in. Spent the whole 20 minutes this morning baking a replacing the lens.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:23 PM
240sxONE Member

Travis stopped by bright and early and found me sitting in one of the coupe seats on my garage floor drinking a coffee. Eventually two of my other buddies stopped by to lend a hand, anyways:

Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM
240sxONE Member

Im digging this. good work!