240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 10-01-2014, 11:21 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: RHD V-mount 1JZ Coupe (a sequel to the prequel)

going all out
Old 10-01-2014, 11:54 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartig View Post
going all out
Hard in the paint!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:23 AM
240sxONE Member

Welcome to Oaks Garage.... Well the garage that I can never get my car into because theres always another project going on! Hopefully within the next month we will be spraying a lot of gold on the front of this thing, after that, put the drivetrain back together and take it for a couple shakedown runs before the heavy snow. These are the plans anyways.

Another casualty... A cracked EK civic CF hood. Great for misc panels. I have a Bomex DC2 front bumper as well, which i may rob some vents from for another portion of the project, undecided yet.

There is not a lot to update, but I have been getting anxious so I put the body panels together loosely.

I did finish the passenger side rear section of the tub, so now the pass side is 100% complete. Also cleaned up some rust and welded the piping to the other side.

Throwback to when i got my wheels... damn do i need to show them some love from sitting all year!

Until next time... . .
Old 10-08-2014, 02:04 AM
240sxONE Member

Nothing updated body-wise, but i messed around with an extra throttle body to try getting past drive by wire.

The ETCS-i unit on the right is a hybrid drive by wire system that utilizes a sensor which determines how far the gas pedal is depressed, then sending a signal on how far to electronically open the butterfly... In short, the mechanical throttle cable only controls about 20% of the butterfly. Engines with this feature are the newest versions, and also do not have a IACV present.

The fix, hopefully, is the use of this unit on the left, which came from my spare engine which happens to be the previous version of the VVT-i 1JZ. This also has traction control (ETCS) but does NOT have a drive by wire feature, meaning that 100% of the butterfly is controlled by a mechanical throttle cable, which is what we want!

The problem is that the ETCS version has the whole front half of the assembly devoted to traction control, utilizing a seperate position sensor and electronic motor attached either side of a secondary butterfly, which is designed to ruin all the fun!

The fix is to just leave it unhooked, keeping the secondary butterfly intact but fully open, or..... cut all the **** off and grind down all the casting to produce a shortened, simplified assembly like this, which will only use a TPS.

Another benefit is that i can remake the cold side IC pipe, so that it has smoother bends which are not soo tight, since the unit allows about 4 inches of extra room to play with!

Since i do not have the corresponding engine harness and ecu for this ETCS version, the downfall will be that the engine will no longer run an IACV of any kind, since the original ETCS-i throttle body controlled that. After speaking to a competition driver out west, who had a VVTi 2JZ s13.5, he assured that his engine ran fine this way, just needed to be revved a little upon cold starts. He stated that the ECU doesnt give a **** about traction control, its just looking for the TPS and signals from the MAF to operate correctly. Hopefully its that simple.

The only issue remaining is that the ETCS-i TPS has 4 wires, and the ETCS TPS has just 3. so i need to figure that out and also find or modify a plug to fit it... ughhhh! I have been trying to find a detailed enough image on Google for the last 2 hours here at work, to show the wire colors leading to the ETCS TPS but have been having no such luck thus far.

Hopefully more progress on the bay will happen in the next few days though!

Jim

Last edited by Mr. James; 10-08-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:03 AM
240sxONE Member

Havent had much to update until now.. My father finally finished getting a celica all-trac prepped for paint and out of the garage, so with a hand-cart, a strap, and my jaguar, we coaxed the silvia shell inside. What a difference it is to be working in a 70ish degree garage. Progress has been great the last couple days and im happy to say that we may see paint in the bay next weekend!

My buddy Dave an i did a lot of welding, grinding, and sanding saturday... and drinking too of course!

I was unsure how i wanted to mount the radiator, until i realized i could put the front brace between the frame rails to good use.

Thank you ISIS for placing mounting points here. i was able to bolt this together with some 10mm bolts. i may even be able to run one of their fan setups and just use longer bolts, but im really unsure what im doing for a fan as of now, as space below the radiator is tight and may run one on top instead.

That pretty much wraps things up for the time being. I dont have a day off until thursday so im hoping to spend an hour or two in the garage the next few afternoons trying to get ready to seam seal everything.... then paint!

The theme of the paint should be interesting, as i have a few ideas rolling around in my head. lets just say, like the engine, the bay will have its cake and eat it too. (showing purple through the gold).

Jim
Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM
240sxONE Member

V-mount set up is coming together nicely.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:45 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post
V-mount set up is coming together nicely.
thanks. Today was my 30th bday, so needless to say i didnt find much time to be in the garage, but i managed to make this...

Nothing fancy.

If i have time im going to pick up some more paint tomorrow, as we may have barely enough left to do the bay. Also, since the purple base coat is like half the price of the gold, im going to use it in less important areas such as the interior.

Jim
Old 11-09-2014, 11:45 PM
240sxONE Member

Here we go....... big update!

So after busting ass with my buddy Dave, the progress continued.

decided to slot the steering column hold and run the chassis harness through there.

Then was seam sealing for a couple hours...

Followed by sealer

Next was this awesome purple base coat

Up next was the fancy stuff.

Camera was having a tough time with these colors

And then came the 24k effect (no clear)

Then with clear coat

Since i have this swap down to a science, installing from underneith, i began installing the drivetrain once the clear was tacky enough

So now the engine and subframe are bolted in, trans is bolted up, driveshaft installed but i lost the bolts so its just chillin...

and the coolest thing from today was that i have been worried about the lower heater hose since the motor is so far back, but i came across this cool little hose when digging through parts....

not sure what it went to, but it was perfect without even cutting it!

So next update will be piping, wiring, fuel line related, hopefully later in the week...
Old 11-10-2014, 03:49 PM
240sxONE Member

Quite the update, lot to handle. good work.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:03 AM
240sxONE Member

So a lot has happened this week, not quite as much as i'd like, but i needed to catch up on family time a little bit, plus i needed a break.

I made a check list, which i lost soon after, but almost everything is done, i'd say were about 85% complete.

Over the past week with help from my friend Dave, we accomplished the following:

Ran new fuel lines from the tank to the engine, press + return. I routed these lines up high in the tunnel, and secured them with clamps we made that bolted to the floor, 1 bolted to the old E-brake cable location towards the rear, the next clamp bolted to one of the 4 holes around the shifter.

Bought hardened bolts and finished installing the driveshaft.

Got the radiator hoses together and clamped solidly.

Modified the IC piping slightly, painted them with a stone guard, giving a textured look, and got them clamped down. (what a bitch that was)

Ordered a new rubber trans mount for the R154 (1988 Supra) for $10 new.... Got that installed. (the old one had a nice slice all the way through it)

Also, my father has been working on making a custom bracket setup for the wilwood pedal set, which is one of the most ridiculous things to install ever. Ill stick to stock pedals on anything else i build for sure..... But their still a ballin' ass setup and hopefully will be dialed in relatively easily. They have a balance bar which allows F to R bias adjustments with an external knob mounted to the tunnel for on the fly adjustments. Im running a 3/4 bore clutch master, and dual 1" bore masters for the brakes... (one front, one rear). I am hoping this is a proper match for the 4pot / 2pot calipers.

On with the pictures:

And Zeta chillin in her s14 seat.... #ShopDogLife

The TO DO List:

>secure and wire cooling fan
>fasten chassis harness grounds
>figure out how i want to wire the engine (several options here)
>modify brake lines/attach them to braided lines to the wilwood pedals
>clean up/seam seal/stone guard inner wheel wells
>assemble control arms/brakes/coilovers
> change fluids
>seam seal/prime/paint under the dash
>assemble heater core/dash

Guess the list is a bit longer than i thought, but were getting there!

Also, there was no room t o have a filter in the bay, so it is set up "cold air" style. It is an apexi filter which sits just below the headlight... The piping is ok, minus the large rubber section, but it will get me going for the time being.