240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 04-07-2010, 12:45 AM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Orange Drink Zed

Oh Noooooo!!

Airj0ckey (6:31:30 PM): it's a bitch motor...you just slap it more to make it work harder
Airj0ckey (6:32:06 PM): but your treating it like a wife motor
Old 04-07-2010, 12:53 AM
240sxONE Member

Fett drives your car.. I knew I liked it for a reason lol
Old 04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
240sxONE Member

thats hot

'97 M3 4dr 6spd swap - Driver
Lots of stuff...
Old 04-07-2010, 04:19 PM
240sxONE Member

get to some meats!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 PM
240sxONE Member

Kinda hard when your car is broked...

Just got my Haltech IAT sensor in today, the old one was fouled. Of course, now I have to mail back the SECOND (too big) IAT they sent me instead of the coolant temp sensor... bleh... What a ****ing annoying mess. Luckily I still have one good coolant sensor to use, it just crapped out because of a failed butt connector in the harness.

The dash is out for... modifications... updates soon. May be at the UCONN show this Sat if I can reassemble it in time.

Airj0ckey (6:31:30 PM): it's a bitch motor...you just slap it more to make it work harder
Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 PM
240sxONE Member

Hey,where did you get the fender mirrors??? I have a few old Datty's,Id like to put them on my 67 411 SSS and my 71 510...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostah View Post
Hey,where did you get the fender mirrors??? I have a few old Datty's,Id like to put them on my 67 411 SSS and my 71 510...
Direct from Japan, a place called BProjects. Very hard to find, harder to find at a good price.

Last edited by OrangeDrinkZed; 04-07-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:43 AM
240sxONE Member

Got my stuffs yesterday, should be installed by tonight (with any luck). Hell, it better be installed tonight, or I can't make it to UCONN. Time to get crack-a-lackin'.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:09 PM
240sxONE Member

And its done... sort of...

Sorry about the mess, I didn't get around to finish putting everything back together.

This is the reason for the secrecy. A new set of Speedhut Revolution gauges. They almost look like they belonged in the car from the start. That is, until it gets dark out....

Each gauge gives off a brilliant cool-blue hue which is easily read with the contrasting red pointer. The glow comes not from standard lights behind the bezels, but the numbers themselves. Sort of like an indeglow watch. This makes them thousands of times clearer to read than the stock gauges. The first picture is probably more accurate, the second was a timed exposure in almost complete darkness. They're not that blindingly bright. More for artsy effect than anything (which is a nice way of saying I was holding the camera and my heartbeat distorted the image).

But the list doesn't stop there with pretty looks. Each gauge is fully electronic, and the needles powered by stepper motors. This makes them extremely accurate, once again unlike the aging Datsun gauges. They are also fully programmable. Want your warning light for overheated coolant to go off at 240*F? Set. Want your oil pressure to have a low pressure warning at 10psi as well as 80psi for overpressure? Done. The vacuum/boost works the same way, as well as the voltmeter. The fuel level is also adjustable, you just need to calibrate tow and high points.

But the real joy lies in the speedometer and tach. The speedo I got has integrated turn signal and highbeam indicator lights, so I didn't have to sacrifice too much with the loss of the stocker. It too is fully programmable, with peak features. Right now it is hooked up to a 240sx electronic speed sensor in my transmission, and since the car is stationary has not been calibrated. But when my Z does move again, all I have to do is drive 2 miles and the speedometer will count the pulses per mile and calibrate itself. The tachometer is no less impressive. Whether you have an L28 or a Jaguar V12 under the hood, distributor with single coil or EDIS, you can set the pulses per revolution to get an accurate readout. Additionally there are a set of integrated LED shift lights where you can set not only the shift point, but the span of the other lights. To explain a little further, say you set the shift point at 6000rpm and a span of 200rpm. 3 yellow LEDs will come on at 5400, 5600, 5800, followed by a red shift light at 6000, then a blinking red at 6200 for overrev.

And what if you don't like black gauge faces with a blue glow? Well, you could get black bezel with green glowing letters and a white pointer if you REALLY wanted it to look like stock. Or you could get a gauge face that looks yellow by day with black font and glows green at night. You can also change the font of the numbers. Or tell them to put a big "DATSUN TYPE R" in the center. The options are almost endless. Full customization.

But all this awesome comes at a price. Literally. They are pricey. I've been planning and waiting for the right time since '08 to slap these in the car, and finally got around to it. But for the money you spend you get something much more personal and unique than just about anything else. And for all the technology that these gauges have, it still won't save you from a dead fuel pump. I spent 1pm Friday to 10am Saturday without sleep installing them so I could go to the UCONN show, but it wasn't enough. Oddly, my old mechanical Autometer fuel pressure gauge gave the most crushingly accurate reading of the day; "0". Time for another upgrade....

If you have any other questions about the gauges, you can ask. Or go to www.speedhut.com and poke about. They have a fun little gauge building tool that shows you what your order will look like.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:17 PM
240sxONE Member

Very baller gauges! Looks sharp!