240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 06-26-2014, 04:11 PM
240sxONE Member

Wink My 1991 240sx coupe...

So after a LOOOONG time waiting i have finally gotten my license sorted out (speeding is bad mmkay) and Im going to be back on the road in a weeks time. During the insane amount of time i was not on the road i was working, saving up to buy this!

Its a 1991 240sx coupe, Aztec red, automatic, 140k, minimal rust, run and drives. I plan on restoring this car and upgrading the suspension and brakes and doing a 5 speed swap rather soon. (So anyone on here with 5 speed parts let me know!) I have a transmission lined up but that's about it. The car has been swiped on the drivers side, and has ta new front fender and door, so i need to fix the locks on the driver side door. Its a Base model with no sunroof and roll up windows, nice and light! I always disliked red cars, but I'm starting to fall in love for obvious reasons!

It has never been drifted, raced, or even modified aside from lowering springs and new shocks (KYB gr2 on tein springs up front, and tokiko blue with eibach or tanabe (red) lowering springs) and the 16x8 XXR 002 wheels. They have been painted white, i kinda dig it!

the 0 offset is really nice on the eyes

205 50 16s. Needs new tires and i have the rear brakes all done, now i need t do the fronts before driving it home from MA to NH. I work at a detailing shop and all i want to do is clean the damn thing! My buddy Ryan Zombie who is also on here is helping me out with tires, balancing and alignment later on next week! So excited! Stay tuned for more awesomeness and ill post engine bay and interior shots once its all cleaned up!

This car will not be hacked up and smashed in three weeks i promise you, im taking this car back to how it used to be and keeping it relatively OEM and clean. I'm going to eventually repaint it Aztec red and this will be my daily for the summer and fall and I wont be driving much if at all in the winter. I'm looking to do a black interior with tan carpet and glove box and door accents so if any of you guys have a clean brown interior i can rip apart let me know! and again any five speed parts please pm me! Let me know what you think, its so nice to have a 240 that isnt rusting into dust!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 AM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: My 1991 240sx coupe...

So it just down poured over the last day or so, so my car is much cleaner now, its waiting for front brakes to be finished up. My girlfriend sent me these shots while i was slaving away at work.

But here some decent quality photos, and the car is so much cleaner than I originally thought as far as paint goes. Just needs the rear bumper redone.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 AM
240sxONE Member

Good looking coupe you have right there!
Old 06-28-2014, 06:52 PM
240sxONE Member

;D Why thank you sir!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:36 PM
240sxONE Member

So i got to do a solid detail today and spent 6 hours cleaning the car inside and out, even under the hood. So after shakin it down and putting nearly 600 miles on it already I know it has a power steering leak i still need to pin point the source of. I also found out the popping metal sound coming from my front passenger side is a rusty beat tie rod end, I'll be ordering the Tein inner and outer package from FRsport within a few weeks. I picked up some used tires today just to hold me over until the car is back to a non leaking, non squeaking condition. Im going to meet up with Zombie and get them mounted and balanced. I couldn't find and 205 50 16s so I'm running 205 55's, I'm praying they dont rub too much, but at the price i got these i cant complain. Ill eventually upgrade my front rubber once i chew through these used ones.

I'm really excited to upgrade my beat tie rods, my car feels like a fish on the highway right between that and the power steering leak. Its also time for a damn oil change! Maybe tuesday!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 PM
240sxONE Member

So today I managed to get my car back to basics. I picked up a high flow Spectre "Performance" oem replacement air filter and dropped it in to replace my dirty torn unit. I grabbed a Bosch oil filter, NGK V-power copper spark plugs, new tie rod ends (oe replacement for now), and my buddy hooked me up with a wire set. I was running bald snow tires on the right side of my car on my open diff power side from previous one wheel peels I'm sure, and I have falken 912s on my drivers side. So I met up with My homie Ryan and got this **** going. first things first.

Get it up in the air and admire before anything.

Then managed to get both falken 912 205 50 r16s on the front, and my used kelly 205 55 r16 radials in the rear. The larger profile in the rear meets with the fender nicely so my poke is less noticeable and my wheel gap is less, which is always pleasing.

We dropped in the NGKs which came pre gapped (suhweet), changed out the junk oil and oil filter, and replaced it with fresh 10w30. We replaced the tie rod ends, and then mounted the "new" rubber for the rear.

We went to start the car and i have a sever misfire causing the engine to shake the whole car, also telling me it need new motor mounts quite badly. We remove the plugs and check the plugs, and the wires were not clicking into place but had a soft mushy feeling. The plugs were all fine so we ran to Ryan's place and grab a wire set he held on to when he changed his, and he gave me so generously! We plugged them in and its still misfiring, unplug and replug the wire set, and Bam! Started up fine and the rain was coming down like cats and dogs so it was a blast getting to drive her home in such prime form.

My car feels 110% better today and i cant wait to get my five speed parts hopefully starting next week! Tear down time with the donor car my buddy has! Life is good!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:47 AM
240sxONE Member

from past experience, if you want stronger tierods go with moog s14 inner and s14 outers. I have seen just as many people destroy tein tierods as I have stock, so there is no point in over paying for the tein name. the s14 are a great upgrade from the super thin s13 inners and have a lifetime warranty.

btw, the car looks super clean. great pick up!

Last edited by slidewayz240; 07-16-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: correcting information
Old 07-16-2014, 09:01 AM
240sxONE Member

^ s14 inner tie tods and s13 inner tie rods have different thread pitches. They can't be interchanged unless you also change the outer along with it.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:31 AM
240sxONE Member

You are right. My mistake.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 PM
240sxONE Member

I was either thinking tein inner and moog out (s14) or all moog, but I would enjoy that Tein spacer, and I'm not worried about paying a bit more for just the inners. Either way I'm doing moog outers.

Thanks for the kind words! Its such a gem for only $1800 running. I took out th e pointless intake resonator today and its much more responsive and loud in the intake department. I'm also considering taking out the ripped up wheel well plastics because they have holes in them and such, but my drivers fender is being held in place with it. Once i have a drill and some zip ties ill get the finder to fit right and be stable on the bottom end.

Also i have to fit chuki extensions on, has anyone modified an 89 pignose fender to a chuki? how did you get the thing to mount right? I have two extensions with metal brackets, and one has one missing clip.
Edit;
I just read i can use the screws in the fender and it should hold, I'll go try this and post results.

Last edited by ryan516; 07-17-2014 at 06:01 PM.