240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > General Tech and Style Chat

Old 10-07-2007, 04:05 AM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to iluvpandas4
Default rust protecting paint?

ok so since its getting close to winter time and since i've got all the nasty rust off my car, i was wondering about paints that could help prevent rust cuz of course, i dont want it coming back. i dont know much about it but i've heard about it before. i just wanna know if you guys know any good brand names or if its worth doing etc. any info about it would help

thanks
Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 AM
your manager of serious internet business

Default Re: rust protecting paint?

Rhino Liner

SilviaV8 Forums | CollectorsEdition.org | My Blog | My Build Thread | My For Sale Thread
Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 AM
240sxONE Founder

Send a message via AIM to SR20VET Send a message via MSN to SR20VET Send a message via Skype™ to SR20VET

If you want the car to look good you just need to be careful to paint it properly. Don't leave it primered over the winter as the primer will absorb moisture, and cause the car to rust faster. At the very least slap a layer of clear over the primer to seal it up temporarily. Cleaning, and then udercoating the underside of the car will do wonders. There isn't much you can do in the problem areas (under the rear spoiler, rocker panels, wheel wells, etc.) besides cleaning them regularly to keep them free of salt, and moisture.

Go racing! New England Region SCCA Solo
Old 10-13-2007, 07:55 AM
240sxONE Founder

I've been playing around with rust conversion paint. It seems to work well. Other than that, you COULD get zinc rich primer, but your best bet is to do like charlie says, and use an enamel or other moisture sealing paint. If you want to keep the flat black look, I'd go with a satin black rustoleum.

Other than that, keep your car clean!! When you wash it, make sure to hose off your suspension components, and as much of the undercarriage as you can. Simple stuff like that makes a big difference in the long run, as long as you do it regularly.

Photo credit: Amozic
Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 PM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to dopeassjackson

new york state uses this SEP brand paint over rust paint. i have been slaping that stuff on all kinds of neglected rusty things for the past year and it seams to work great, just scrape the lose rust off and lather your parts up, i do mean lather its preaty thick paint. the only problem is that the only place i know where to get it from is work and its $75 per gallon. but nothing beats rust like a good undercarage wash at least once a week.

got ET?
full boost by 2.7K @ 9lbs
Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 PM
ONE

Send a message via AIM to sdaigle240

not sure if were talkin about chasis or body here but ive had good luck with that rocker shultz crap on the chasis of trucks b4...takes a beatin and resists corrosion
ZErOSTyLE

MJL