240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > General Tech and Style Chat

Old 10-06-2007, 12:56 PM
your manager of serious internet business

Default odo/trip meter problem

I just bought a new 240 (s14) on the ride home the odo/trip meter was acting flakey moving normally and then stopping briefly before stopping completely.

I drove the car not too long before I bought it and both were working A-ok Also the oil was changed last week and the odo shows that it's had 100-200 miles put on since then.

In any case it happened just recently and I want to know how to fix this before I put it on the road.

I have the service manual but there isn't a single word about odo/trip repair

Any idea how the system works and what I can check to fix it? I figure since both stopped working it has something to do with the cable or sender unit. I had always thought that they used the speed sensor but the speedo works just dandy..

SilviaV8 Forums | CollectorsEdition.org | My Blog | My Build Thread | My For Sale Thread
Old 10-06-2007, 01:05 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: odo/trip meter problem

my S14 speed-o odo/trip works when It wants to, I just live with it.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 PM

yeah well, I'm not looking to drive a road warrior. This car is showroom perfect and considering it's only got 60K miles on it I'd rather not screw up the mileage if I can avoid it.

SilviaV8 Forums | CollectorsEdition.org | My Blog | My Build Thread | My For Sale Thread
Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 PM
240sxONE Member

Well there can really only be three issues. One the speedo's gearing is f'd up. Two the wire that runs from the speedo to the sensor is either broken, or grounding out. Three the actuall sensor has gone bad. My guess would be is to check the wiring. Look in the electical section of the service manuel.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:15 PM

it's not the speedo, the speedo is fine it's the odo/trip meter and I've gone through every page of the electrical section in the service manual, plenty of info on the speedo nothing on the odo.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:52 PM
240sxONE Member

whoops, I meant odo/trip. I could have sworn I remember seeing it in my old SM. Id look for you but I gave it away with my car when I sold it.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:56 PM

...unless of course the speedo itself also controls the odo/trip. If that's the case then it's definitely the gauge itself because the speedo in terms of reading speed output has ZERO problems.

is it possible to replace just that part or would I have to replace the whole gauge cluster. I would suspect that they try to make the mechanical part of the odo tamper-proof.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:24 PM
240sxONE Member

Nothings tamper proof. Just need a little patience. There is a good chance that they may be run off the same thing. Check the SM, for the actuall asembly of the cluster. Or just pull the damn thing out and have a look at it.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:17 PM

yeah taking it apart and looking myself is probably the best idea...

I can see 2 screws on the underside of the hood are there clips somewhere holding the bottom part in ?

Old 10-07-2007, 09:29 AM
240sxONE Member

Honestly I can't remember....