240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > General Tech and Style Chat

Old 10-21-2007, 12:20 AM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to iluvpandas4
Default Paint

does anyone know any good and cheap paint shops around? i would like to paint up my car since its just about ready for some paint but i dont have much to work with money-wise. anyway let me know if you guys know any good places that could paint up my car cheap and good.

EDIT: forgot to mention the car is already primered
Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 AM
ONE

Send a message via AIM to sdaigle240
Default Re: Paint

if the body work is already done...theres nothing wrong with going to macco....ive seen a bunch of jobs from diffrent locations and the only time they look bad is when they dont paint the whole car and have to color match they also offer some extra paint deal for more dough that i recoment b/c the standard is thin(lost some paint on our truck after getting a bed full of stone by a loader)but u could be out the door for less that 500
ZErOSTyLE

MJL
Old 10-21-2007, 01:19 AM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to iluvpandas4

i was thinking about maaco; my uncle had his car done by them but it took em about 2-3 weeks and i kinda dont have that much time to be without my car. so maaco is not an option.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:10 AM
240sxONE Member

maaco = 300 paint job..... its cheap (1 step) and u get what u pay for....but it looks better than primer.... Ill have those rims ready for you this week..... ill let u know....sorry about the delay
Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 AM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to Kaje

I can paint cheaply, but $300 is very cheap.. the quality of paint the use is horrid for $300. I am painting my roommates eclipse, hopefully doing some today. and just the paint alone with all the flex agents for all the plastics to flex and clear coat was $330. and this is VERY cheap paint! (omni paint) if I went with something nice quality,.. the exact same paint would cost $800 (PPG)

Basically the problem with paint that cheap is it will fade in sunlight. you can Mix a good clear with cheap paint and that will help allot because of the UV protection added into the better clear coats. I bet that maaco paint job is with no clear coat at all. so your paint would have no protection, and will not have a nice shine to it (3 coats of clear gives you a shine)

Kaje
Old 10-21-2007, 07:45 PM
240sxONE Staff

Send a message via AIM to tastyratz

Maaco paint job is not by any means something you should do on a car you intend to look nice. If you have a beat to hell paint job and plan on selling the car then fine. If you dont care what it looks like that much then fine. Most of the maaco employees are just outta body school working for crap dough. They arent the best painters. The tape job will be quick and there will be spots with drips or dry sprays which aren't corrected because of the labor your buying.

Marks right. My dad has a paint shop and hes been doing it for years. The clear alone at HIS COST is more than that maaco paint job. You absolutely get what you pay for. The paint you get from maaco is cheap because its old hat. Its the same single stage stuff you would get at VIP. Its what they used to paint cars with 30 years ago. Theres a reason they stopped using it 30 years ago in most places.

If your gonna be cheap do it yourself and do the rustoleum special. If you want anything worth looking at stay away from maaco. Save your time and money. Expect downtime because painting a car is going to require a lot of labor, and the maaco paint takes forever to dry (dusty bugs love that)

Guess everyone has a different version of "good enough"

Click for my for sale thread. s13 sr koyo, r32 headlights, s14 bikirom rom tune, many s14/s13 parts... and MOAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster240 View Post
I usially dont write involved response on my phone, that was during a poop break and the words just flowed out.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:58 PM
240sxONE Member

the $300 stage is not that good. macco does have different price points. my brother had his car painted at the portland maine macco for $1,300 and it came out really good. they do really good work there, if you spend the money..

also i've seen a mustang painted there satin black for $300 and it came out great and the paint is still on the car.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 PM
240sxONE Member

the maaco in nashua ONLY does 1 step paint jobs at $300, $600, and $900 for "better levels" even tho they all suck cause theyre 1 step with no clear.....and they rape you on body work
Old 10-24-2007, 11:20 AM
your manager of serious internet business

what do you do to paint around badges? Do you take them off and if so how do you put them back on?

SilviaV8 Forums | CollectorsEdition.org | My Blog | My Build Thread | My For Sale Thread
Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 AM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to RevLimitLaunch

i had a talon painted by maaco. it was $600 with clear and body work and primer. paint also had a 2 year gloss warranty and if anything happens to the paint, mostly fading wise and such they re paint the car. they did awesome work and there weren't any problems i could tell from seeing it too. it was in and out in 3 days also. i only had the car for 8 months afterwards however and i was planning on selling the car within a year anyway and there was some rust fixing on the exterior i wanted to clean up. but i guess if it's a plan to keep the car for a while, spring for the better paint to be used and save the extra cash. if your getting rid of it, by all means go spend a few hundred bucks lol. good luck either way.