240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 11-20-2015, 10:14 AM
240sxONE Member

Default 1jz vvti s14 kouki

Hey guys, Ive been in the 240 community for about 5 years now and had multiple cars but havent done any in depth build threads. Now that I have a project I plan on sticking with for a while I figured its the perfect time to start.

I originally bought it as my first car in 2012. I had all these dreams about what I wanted to do with it but being a 19 year old college student and having it as a daily severely limited me. I had the car for a year and did some minor modifications like coils, brakes, wheels, etc but I got bored of the car and moved onto something newer. A year after selling it I was given the opportunity to buy it back, so without hesitation I was the owner once again.

This time it came back looking a little different, JDM front bumper, grill, and paint matched carbon fiber hood. I bought some varrstoens es2 and the car now looked like this.

After only owning the car for a couple months I foolishly traded it for a rhd rb25 s13 because I had started drifting earlier that year and wanted something for the track. Fast forward to a year later, spring 2015. The s13 was gone and the kouki was back in my garage, this time as a project, not a daily.

When I picked it up the last time, my previous s13 in the background.

This is where the project starts, the car is currently sitting on jack stands in my garage fully stripped to the shell. The progress is slow but this time im not rushing anything and doing it right the first time. I received the motor last week which got the ball rolling on the winter build, more updates to come.

Last edited by Matt93; 06-27-2016 at 09:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt93 For This Useful Post:
vqboodah (11-24-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 07:45 AM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: 1jz vvti s14 kouki

looks like fun.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:53 PM
240sxONE Member

Good choice on the engine. I love mine. what trans are you using?
Old 11-21-2015, 04:44 PM
240sxONE Member

I am planning on going with a 350z cd009 and collins adapter kit. I just saw collins is releasing a jz to bmw zf trans adapter kit so im also going to research those trans since im not familiar with them. May be a better option since the cd009 shifter is going to sit behind the factory shifter location.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:05 PM
240sxONE Staff

Send a message via AIM to vqboodah

I'm in. Looking forward to this build.

...She will be missed...
Old 11-26-2015, 07:58 PM
240sxONE Member

That kouki is wicked clean makes me a little jealous! lol. I seen your thinking about going with the cd009 trans with Collins adapter. I have the cd009 trans mounted to my ka24de with a Maverick adapter plate, Collins transmount, and mazwork shifter relocation bracket.
the Collins trans mount is terrible and I had to modify it to fit correctly;waste of hard earned money.
Also in my car the trans is now the low point, which I think is pretty sketchy.
the center console does not fit correctly it is about 1/2 in. back, sometimes my e-brake boot gets caught when returning. The shifting gate seems a little to the right at least on my KA set up, just doesn't feel natural to shift yet.

But I wont blow up transmissions any more! And considering the 350z and g35 come with a 3.5 ring and pinion while the s14 has a 4.0 there is a noticeable gear reduction. my car struggles for traction on low boost with 295/35r18 Potenzas

Anyhow, I did the cd009 last year and there wasn't really any reviews yet hindsight I wouldn't have done it.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:53 AM
240sxONE Member

I've heard horrible things about the Collins stuff, fwiw.. Post pics of what you end up using for a trans.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:43 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike000 View Post
I've heard horrible things about the Collins stuff, fwiw.. Post pics of what you end up using for a trans.
This....

The guy is a total tool. I picked up a plate from him to do my 2jz/z32 trans combo. I wasn't thrilled with the fitment of the plate.. Paint in threads i ended up chasing out. Seems like it could have been designed alot better.

Unfortunately he's one of the only ones that makes a kit.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:56 AM
240sxONE Member

I know its been forever since this thread was started but I now have the car in a shop where I can finally work on it. Basically doing all the boring chassis work leading up to the swap...

Got settled into the new shop and started tearing the car down to a bare chassis

With all the rust repair that needed to be done I got adventurous and started looking for ways to flip the car over, I found the design for these stands online and went for it

Here come to disturbing pictures, the rust was pretty bad

A few weeks and a lot of sheet metal later

And how the car sits now, did the first coat of por15 on the entire underside

Old 06-27-2016, 11:14 AM
240sxONE Member

Good progress. Hopefully thats the end of the rust.