240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 06-18-2015, 08:40 PM
240sxONE Member

Default third times the charm.

Hey all I've been working on this hatch I picked up about a month back figured I'd share pictures and progress, this is my third hatch but first time I had a job that paid enough to put money into the car so I have decently high hopes for this build.

Found it out in NY with almost no rust!! but there was of course a down side, he had a chevy 350ci in it and hacked up a bunch of stuff, worst was the firewall (see pic)

it also came with some recaro's with some getto seat mounts only on one side lol Got the seats cleaned up and the old brackets off.

I've stripped out the interior and spent way too much time getting all that sound deadening $hit off the floor, all the wiring harnesses and the front end. and not pictured gas tank as well.

Enjoy the pics, more to come soon.

Last edited by ttec346; 08-07-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: fixing picture links
Old 08-01-2015, 12:17 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: third times the charm.

progress has been slow while waiting on my paint and body guy before I can make some big strides but trying to get stuff prepped and get all the parts so I can knock this out when its go time.

[Got the gas tank out and was very happy about no real rust.

completely stripped the rear of the car off.

and got that pesky battery tray out without too much effort.

on a side note, I was under the car and noticed a HUGE gap between the subframe bushings and the frame, I ordered new whiteline bushings but will they take up the gap? its close to 1in. also I realize that the subframe might not be torqued down and that could be why there's a gap lol I did think about that. would collars take that gap? or bushings should be good?
:update: when I did the work to the rear sub frame, I torqued it down to spec on a lift with new hardened rubber bushings from whiteline and I was still left with about
1/2'' worth of gap between the tops of the bushings and the rear body. So I ended up adding isr? rear bushing collars to take up the extra gap and then torqued it all back down. FYI I only used the top collar pieces.

Last edited by ttec346; 08-07-2017 at 10:15 AM. Reason: fixing pictures, update:
Old 09-02-2015, 04:45 PM
240sxONE Member

I've gotten bunch of work done in the last month, and lots more work getting done in the next month. Enjoy
Had to make these my self, couldn't find anyone still making any.

Reman rack with Tein inner/outter rods with spacer bushing, all coated in por15.

Finally got the car in for the cage and couldn't be happier with how it came out.
The cage was made and installed by MPH Fabrication out of North Haven.

And then I spent Several hours seam spot welding, not too bad considering its my 3rd time welding.

That's all I got for now, but I got a crap ton of parts waiting to go in and it's where it needs to be now.

Last edited by ttec346; 08-07-2017 at 10:28 AM. Reason: fixing pictures.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:37 PM
240sxONE Member

Sup ya'll? so Ive been hard at work over the last week or so, and here's the good parts.

I drilled and tapped grease fittings into the FLCA for the polyurethane bushings, most of the forums I saw people were talking about problems with them binding if you don't grease them, same plan for the rear points down the road.

next up is the firewall, remember the big hole in the middle of it? (see above posts)
that got all fixed and the wiper cowl so it wont leak into the car now.

next I extended the seam spot welding from the rear up front to meet the cage hoop.
and seam spot welded the firewall seam from the inside.

It was missing a chunk out of the front frame? no clue why but fixed that too lol

fixed the rear passenger seat mount, was rotted out and was able to save the mount it's self. it might be stronger then the drivers now.....lol

and last for this set, I picked up a set of ultra racing fender braces, tossed their bolts and got bigger bolts in a grade 8 with washers, then made brackets for the nuts to go on, then decided to rosette weld the brackets to the body, and now the bolts don't want to come back out for paint lol so their permanent now lol oops.

more to come soon.

Last edited by ttec346; 08-07-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: fixing pictures.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:36 PM
240sxONE Member

been working hard saving money and trying to get work done on the car, getting a motor really soon for it too.

found a bunch of crappy body work and hidden rust/rot in the hatch

Made frame caps for the front of the car, figured why not? I'm here and I got everything to do it so f*uck it.

I spent wayyyyyyy to much time stripping all the $hitty bedliner that the last a$$hat did, started to find rust under the bedliner. After a gallon of air craft stripper and 100lbs of black beauty I got it done and it's ready for something better now.

And last is today I got it transferred over to a bay with a lift and starting working like a mad man, 8 hours later its deff ready to start going places.

finished spot welding up all the engine bay seams.

I really thought there was gonna be more parts coming off......

And got really lucky, no snapped bolts or stripped bolts the whole way, even the brake lines all came off, nothing some PB blast cant fix!

enjoy the good part is yet to come.

Last edited by ttec346; 08-07-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: fixing pictures.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 PM
240sxONE Member

Alright its been a busy last couple weeks, but the pay off is good.
POR15 the entire underside and interior floor, all the suspension hooked up and the gas tank in.

Oh I also got a Rb25det series 2

Made and welded plates for the RLCA, with new sentra ball joints

All the parts on a line to paint them.

Spraying POR15 is a Hell of a mess!

I hand brushed the interior floor to avoid over spray and all the dust from it.

the parts came out really nice, 2.5 hours of love struggling I got the ES bushings in.

pics of the new suspension set up.

I even found time to tap grease fittings into the RLCA's, almost went south when the tap snapped off in the second hole I was tapping.
you can also see the gktech subframe bracing kit

The charcoal canister was already almost gone so I put a new line in and put a lawn mower filter in, tucked it around the back to vent the gas vapors.

New rack and a nismo power brace.

next up is finishing the body work and paint.

Cant wait to drive this thing one day, its gonna be sweet.

Last edited by ttec346; 08-07-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: fixing pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttec346 For This Useful Post:
vqboodah (10-18-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 10:01 PM
240sxONE Member

build thread is awesome. its cool to see people who aren't throwing together these sh1tboxes just to slide.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:52 AM
240sxONE Member

Thanks bro, I've wanted to do a serious build on a 240 for a long time but money just wasn't there.
everything is just lining up for me to make it happen, still a little foggy on tearing down the rb25 but I figure I'll just feel it out lol
BTW if any one knows of a book/manual, source for info on rebuilding a rb25 would be sick.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:20 PM
240sxONE Member

Well it' been a month of slow progress but its going forward......slowly.

I got the front end back on for fitment and alignment purposes and block sanded the whole car, finding the lows and high spots.
Also did some dent pulling and deleting the wiper sprayers and antenna.

And of no paint job would not be complete without hours of body filler, sanding and repeat. I hate body work

My body guy is used to doing full on car restorations and is a little old school but I wanna go with a glossy black so he's saying to skim coat most of the body to get it really even and smooth. I just wanna go fast already lol

Last edited by ttec346; 08-07-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: fixing pictures.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:27 PM
240sxONE Member

its been awhile sense an update Ive been busy moving and the holidays.
enjoy the pics

I cut out the pig nose for better cooling hopefully down the road

found the last little bit of real rust hiding underneath the hatch but made quick work of it.

spent way too much time getting everything perfect on the body but finally got the car ready for primer.

then took off the orange peel with 180 grit and now I gotta wet sand 400 and should be time for paint really soon!

in the off hours that I don't have any more, I dug my old tool box out and started setting up my new garage for the car to come home.

next I started to tear into the Rb25 and check it all out

Then I got the great surprise of finding a $hit ton of sand and what looks to be sea weed? all around the coil packs, and found a bunch of stuff already loose so not quite sure what that all means but hopefully nothing a rebuild or refresh cant fix.

finally got the head off!

my little dig

that's all I got right now, as always good things to come soon.

Last edited by ttec346; 08-07-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: fixing pictures