240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 09-20-2014, 12:01 AM
240sxONE Member

Default James Disher's S13 Hatch

I've decided to start a thread finally now that I'm planning on diving a lot deeper into the money pit that I like to call my s13. I got this car around this time last year, so I've got some catching up to do. Just a little background info, I'm 18 years old, born and raised in the south shore of Boston. I've done everything with this car in my driveway or sideyard on a piece of plywood.

I fixed up a 98 CBR F3 that I bought cheap and ended up trading for an s13. I got the car with a ka with a supposed blown head gasket, some ricey **** and a lot of work to do. Overall, the car is very clean, it had one of the rails fixed and the only rust on the car is on the front towers. Here's how it looked the day it was dropped off;

Quickly got to work on doing the head, got a felpro gasket kit, a cometic HG, and ARP headstuds. Also dropped some new valve seals in.

In case anyone was wondering, this is where I pulled the head.. in the middle of the winter.. no heat.. yeah.

So I drove on that KA a little bit and once I was comfortable with the car and had some money tucked away, I decided I was gonna ditch the KA and throw an SR in. Yanked the KA out and sold it to my buddy with an s14 who was in need of a motorset, then began hunting for an SR.

Week after that and I bought a full plug and play swap from someone in Rhode Island. Came with a front mount, downpipe, etc etc. He claimed he rebuilt the motor in August 2012. Got everything for a good price so I was happy.

While I had everything apart, I decided to sand the bay and just rattle can it black to clean it up a bit.

Finished the swap in about 4 days of working on it over the course of a week. Was super excited when it fired right up. This was my first time doing a swap so I felt pretty good about it. Spent another 3 days cleaning everything up and mounting all the accessories. Bought a timing gun and squared that away, and it was almost ready to drive. Was just waiting on my welder to tag the bung onto my downpipe for my wideband.

In the meantime, I had ordered a few goodies. Got some redline for the tranny and a greddy oil filter, along with a nismo slave, isis power steering line, and a long line to run straight from my master to the slave to delete the clutch dampener system under the car. Finally, the car was ready to drive.

A week later, still trying to figure out what seemed like a boost leak and some weird timing.......
Knock Knock. FML.

So that happened in July, the car has been sitting since then. I just started school and I've been occupied with some other stupid stuff, so havent had much time for it.
Oh ya and heres and update on how the car looks now;

Last edited by dishhy; 09-20-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:49 AM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: James Disher's S13 Hatch

nice man. didn't know u were going to school too. goodluck with the sr!
Old 09-20-2014, 10:07 AM
240sxONE Member

UPDATE: My dad also just moved into a new shop to run his industrial repair business out of, so I finally have a good place to work out of. I'm stoked for sure. Here's some pics of the new shop:

With a new space to work, I decided to pull this thing apart and see what happened. After two hours I yanked the SR and put it on a stand that my friend was nice enough to lend me. Got the motor all stripped down and ready to go to the machine shop.

Rod Bearing #1 was the culprit.

Decided I'm going to go with a full rebuild,
built bottom end. Here's the parts list so far;

- Eagle Rods
- Wiseco Pistons
- ACL Race bearings
- All ARP everythang
- Tomei Metal HG
- Full gasket kit
- Head Rebuild kit

After the motor is rebuilt and broken in I'll most likely be doing a 2871r and all the supporting mods, looking to make around 380whp. Will be updating after I drop the motor off at the machine shop this week.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:15 PM
240sxONE Member

UPDATE:

Decided I am going to stay with a stock motor because I really have no need for a built sr right now, this is going to be a street car that occasionally sees the track so I just want a mild setup for around 300whp.

After looking everywhere to buy a new engine for the right price, I decided that I would just rebuild mine. Just ordered a crank and bearings for a fwd SR20 which I was told will work in the rwd motor. Think it was a 93 sentra se-r, all machined/polished and comes with the appropriate bearings, all for only 230 shipped, which I thought was a great alternative to grinding and polishing mine.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:43 AM
240sxONE Member

Crank just came in, that was quick! Super stoked on this cause it's the first time I didn't feel like I was completely getting the shaft on parts haha.

It's a refurb. Crank from a fwd sentra SE-R, which has the sr20de in it. The crank was machined and polished and even came with matching bearings. I was surprised and super happy when I saw that they're king bearings too!

Ordering the rest of the stuff I need this weekend and then rebuilding next weekend. Woo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2014, 10:02 AM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Mack Daddy

You probably already know this but make sure you store the crank vertically. Don't want that to bend.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:31 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Daddy View Post
You probably already know this but make sure you store the crank vertically. Don't want that to bend.
Thanks I actually didn't think of that lol
Old 10-20-2014, 06:34 PM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Mack Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishhy View Post
Thanks I actually didn't think of that lol
Not a problem bud.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:06 PM
240sxONE Member

Started the process of relocating my fuseboxes to under the dash.. Not fun

Anyone have any tips for tucking the harness? And did you guys pull the harness through the hole on the drivers side or take the entire harness out first and then lay it on the dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2014, 03:08 PM
240sxONE Member

I pulled the whole harness out through the hole on the drivers side dash. Heres a few things i wish people had told me before I did it:

1. Only label the things you will need to extend, and things you will be using when you plug the harness back in.

2. Extend all of your stuff for the front end [ lights ect] outside of the car. I did it in the car. It sucked.

3. Removing all the sheathing for and stupid plastic clips on the harness make it MUCH easier to work with.

4. The FSM shows the chassis harness to have 4 grounds. Mine only had 3. my best guess is that the automatic harness has a ground for the extra plugs by the ignition

5. The FSM shows an automatic harness.