240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > General Tech and Style Chat

Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM
240sxONE Member

Default CT Emissions requires working odometer?

Unfortunately my '91 240SX needs emission testing and I discovered that CT requires a working odometer in order to pass.

I have replaced my gauge cluster with aftermarket gauges and an OBD2 real time display to keep track of oil changes, etc.

I was figuring if I ever sell the car there is so much done to it that the original
mileage (158 k) wouldn't really matter.

They also said I need the cluster to be in the original location, so looks like I have to undo all my work and put the stupid cluster back in for a day.

Does anyone know of any way around this complete BS?

I need to move out of this state.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:33 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: CT Emissions requires working odometer?

Take it somewhere else?
The Following User Says Thank You to superDorifto For This Useful Post:
nismoaddict (06-22-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 02:02 PM
240sxONE Member

so the saga continues...

I went to New Image automotive since they have in ground emissions dyno and were recommended as being easy going, they were fine initially with swap and gauge cluster, but the emissions computer hiccupped during testing, the manager came over and he did not like that the engine was drastically different, so they stopped and would not test it. I told them is a legal engine swap, with cats, etc, but he was convinced I needed a composite registration.

I call DMV to get the official word and an LS1 swapped 240 does not need composite registration.

I found a place J&M Motorsports in Manchester that works with modified cars and does emissions. They said no problem with the swap and bring it on in today. I drive up there, put it on rollers (after telling tech car is rear wheel drive, not front..) and he wont do test since odo is not in stock location, no discussion, pull car off now, not testing it.

So, next step is either redoing my cluster to put the odo back in stock location, getting an 89 shell and swapping vins or keep going to test centers hoping to luck out.

seems like the CT emissions overlords are very strict, they actually do watch the tests, they pulled up my car at new image auto when I called about comp. registration and could see in the engine bay, etc. The techs have to do retina scans to log into the emissions computers even.

I go to the centers with friendly, easy going attitude and try to be accommodating with letting OBD2 go ahead and even offer to pay more since the test takes longer, so I don't think its anything they have against me (I hope, lol).
Old 09-06-2014, 09:39 PM
240sxONE Member

That is garbage...if you're going to go through the hassle of looking for a new shell, why not give the composite reg a try?
Old 09-06-2014, 10:19 PM
240sxONE Member

yea, i was going to do that until I looked into composite reg, they require you to trailer the car to Wethersfield, you have to have receipts for all parts and you have to have full titles for all the main parts of the car.

When I called DMV to ask if I actually needed titles they said composite is more for converting Fiero's to Ferrari's, v8 three wheelers, VW baja buggies and major conversions like that. I think if I just pull the current instrument cluster and make a basic panel to hold the old odometer i might be ok at J&M or something like that.

Never would have guessed that this would have been an issue. Been driving the car around locally and seems to be running great, so I think I'll have a fighting chance of passing.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:22 AM
ONE

Send a message via AIM to sdaigle240

damn id go somewhere else for sure. B00stinBMX and FLATOUT both have swaps and speed hut clusters and have passed. i just passed mine at a random Valvoline. KA but blatantly modified under the hood. ODO is untouched though.
ZErOSTyLE

MJL
Old 09-08-2014, 10:04 AM
240sxONE Member

I'm gonna be in the same boat soon, came back from Kentucky with a full ls swap. Need to find a shell and figure out how to get it registered.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:00 AM
240sxONE Member

awesome news with the swap! Let me know if you want me to fab up a mount kit/headers/catch can, etc for it for cheap. I also have a ton of extra LS1/swap parts (like extra clutch line fitting, etc) if you need anything.

one thing that cracks me up is that several shops suggested just waiting until 2016 before driving it. I just spent a couple years doing all this work, but yea, ill wait another year and a half since you're not comfortable with the car having a v8.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:03 AM
240sxONE Member

Honestly thinking of a quick flip...trying to find a legal chassis to swap it into. Competed in the LS Fest motor swap challenge. Lost by about 10 minutes....need to make some of that sweat equity back.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:28 PM
240sxONE Member

To anyone reading this thread - do NOT call the DMV about emissions issues.

They reviewed my car from pictures at the emissions stations and the chief emissions officer has deemed that my car has an illegal engine swap and will not be tested. So im on their black list and I have a feeling if I do find a shop that will test it they will get in trouble. My only option at this point is to put the stock engine back in or wait until 2016 it seems. Incredible.

They also site this guideline as the reason why it is illegal - http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production...ngswitch_0.pdf