240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Electrical Tech

Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Engine wont go past 5k on rev limiter

So recently I put in a new transmission on my dear car because my old one was on its way out. So we installed the new one a whole new bunch of problems arose. At first my car would not rev past 3K. My MAF sensor was busted so i replaced that and the car ran better. So i decided to "test" out the new transmission with some "spirited driving". At this point i noticed that the car would not rev past 5-5.5k in most gears. I had rough idling and horrible fuel economy, i was getting about 17mpg which is really bad since i usually get about 25-28. so i researched and figured it might be a sensor not plugged or something. I asked the guy who helped me install it if he remembers any loose wires or anything and he said there was one sensor that there were some wires to that he didn't really know what they went to. Since my car used to be an autotragic you have to run wires from the ECU to the neutral position sensor. As soon as there was a sunny day i jacked the car up and looked for the NP sensor and i found two spade connectors that hooked up to the sensor and i reversed the polarity to see if it did anything. i brought the car down turned it on and it ran sooooo much better, the car idles right where it should, it revs all the way to the redline and my fuel economy is great. This had been giving me so many headaches but at least it i got it fixed im just so mad it was something so simple. At least it cost me $0, only headaches. I hope this can help someone out in le future.

Last edited by Emperor Luna; 03-08-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:24 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Engine wont go past 5k on rev limiter

can this happen with sr20's ? swapped into auto chassis ? i had the rough idle issue before and rev limit issue
Old 03-10-2014, 05:24 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Engine wont go past 5k on rev limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanta240 View Post
can this happen with sr20's ? swapped into auto chassis ? i had the rough idle issue before and rev limit issue
I honestly do not know anything about Sr20s, but I can imagine reversed polarity on anything can cause an array of issues as it did for me. It's free so it doesn't hurt to check.