240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Suspension, Chassis, Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Old 05-31-2012, 05:06 PM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to shanelach
Default Re: Preference on new hub?

That was without hub. I could press it together if you needed. The hubs i got off ebay were the generic no namers.

http://bosstownfr.blogspot.com/
Old 05-31-2012, 05:19 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanelach View Post
That was without hub. I could press it together if you needed. The hubs i got off ebay were the generic no namers.
Ahh, gotcha. They don't give you much of a discount eh? Nismoparts has em for ~$99...granted that doesn't include shipping, but if you work at the dealership then I don't think you'd have to pay shipping?

If I was to get the generic no-namers, I'd probably just rock out the bearings in them until they went out, then press in new ones.

I'm still a little undecided at this point on what to get. In a way, I just want to get the eBay ones just to see how bad they can be, in hopes that I might get something good.

I can't help but think how long ago humans invented the wheel...and how it would be ridiculous that I'd still manage to have a problem with bearings in the 21st century.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to shanelach

Trust me when i say i wouldnt reccomend the no namers. At about 10 months 2 of 4 had a good ammount of play. The 3 rd wasnt far behind and the 4th is crunching now.

http://bosstownfr.blogspot.com/
Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
240sxONE Member

I found a used set of 5lug hubs/bearings with lowish miles for 80$ shipped oem.. Put a few thousand miles on em so far no issues... Guess I just got lucky I guess
Old 10-16-2014, 11:33 AM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0wn3r View Post
Wondering if any of you have a preference on hub brand. I might decide to put new 5-lug rear hub assemblies on my S14. From what I gather, no matter what 240sx hub you purchase (S13 vs S14), it will fit ok and the only difference is 4-lug vs 5-lug...which I'd obviously stay 5-lug.

My choices so far seem to be:

1. OEM - About $450, no complaints on quality

2. Drop Engineering - About $230, have not seen reviews, but "no questions asked" limited-lifetime warranty...whatever that means.

3. Contano 'ebay' hubs - $105, have not seen long-term reviews. I believe only a one year warranty.

4. Attain - Did not find any assemblies for rear...so I don't think this is really an option

Those are huge difference in prices. Has anyone had any hub failures from any of the above, or have a preference, maybe even to something I did not list?

I'm looking for a direct bolt-on deal that doesn't require changing anything else. I can press the bearing into the hub if need be, like would be required for OEM.
I'm making an update to this, due to frustration.

I went with Drop Engineering hubs because of the warranty, yet I can't get ahold of them and the wheel bearings are shot after maybe 6-7 events and barely any street driving. I've emailed a couple times already with no luck.

They have been unresponsive to my emails regarding a warranty claim and do not seem to have a phone number listed.

What makes matters worse is that I temporarily bought some cheap ones on eBay and guess what? From the outside they look EXACTLY like the eBay ones except Drop Engineering has their name engraved into it. So it seems I paid $70 more for an engraving.