240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Electrical Tech

Old 09-02-2012, 01:12 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Electric Fan Help

At the risk of getting flamed hard for this topic that is covered everywhere, here goes nothing.

I was driving yesterday away from my college when I noticed my temps starting to rise. I noticed my electric fan had stopped working. Since I did not wire the car up (for those old members who remember its Justin's old car), I went and started checking all fuses. Noticed I had blown the A/C fuse inside the driverside cabin. So I assumed the fan is connected up using the stock A/C fan's electrical system with an inline 20 amp fuse as well. It would come on at a certain temperature, so I am a little bummed since it was a clean way to hook up to the temp system without running a separate temp probe.

I threw in a new fuse, and it didn't fix the issue. I am assuming I hit a good bump, which I had a few minutes prior, and a wire grounded out and popped the fuse. Since I was away from college, I just hotwired the fan right to my positive power and ground and drove it home just fine.

I'm pulling the car off the road for the winter in about a month, so whats the best way that I can do this until I have the time to trace wires? Can I just throw this thing on a switch and run it off the battery? Assuming need an inline fuse? Any help would be appreciated, and this would be temporary until I can tear into the AC electrical system Thanks.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:50 PM
240sxONE Member

Yea man get a switch from autozone run a positive cable from battery to one end of switch and a positive from the fans to the other end of the switch, then just run the ground straight to battery, thats how i have mine now and its good untill u forget to switch them off! Lol
That's where I mounted my switch.

Sent from my XT603 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
Old 09-02-2012, 06:31 PM
240sxONE Member

Id rather run it through a relay as well so my switch isn't getting crazy amperage, I just don't know what relay to get

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Electric Fan Help

Just use a stock 240 horn relay. Its a simple setup and all you need is a few female connectors to make it work. You should really ground the circuit with the switch and not power if you get a short it wont catch fire, it will only make your fan run. I have mine running off of the extra ignition wire for the radio. just an option.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 AM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to shanelach

small gauge wire from b+ or ign+ to coil side of relay. same size wire from ground side of coil to switch. same wire from switch to ground. large gauge b+ to fans with inline fuse. large gauge - wire from fans to switch side of relay. - wire from ground side of relay switch to ground.

Switched grounds are better. Hopefully you can understand my nonsense.

Make sure you get the proper amperage relay and fuse. You'll have to figure out how much amperage the fans draw.

http://bosstownfr.blogspot.com/
Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 AM
240sxONE Member

Thanks guys. Yes I understand. Going to try one last time to quickly find what went. I think its running through what would have been the condensor's electric fan plug. I checked fuses but I didn't check that fusible link. Also Ill check my temp sensor too.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-21-2015, 04:09 PM
240sxONE Member

I assume this is resolved by now, but I think I had that fan wired on its own with a temperature probe in the radiator and a relay mounted near there. I may have worked the wiring into the factory harness when I did the swap.

I know I did it that way, at least, when I installed the electric fan initially when the car still had the KA. If I remember right, the temperature sender was a little brass thing with a make thread that would connect to an aluminum rod that went into the radiator. I didn't think the rod to sensor threaded connection was as solid as I would have liked, but I thought locktite would act as an insulator so I didn't use it there.

-Justin