240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > General Tech and Style Chat

Old 11-19-2014, 04:04 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Turbo talk

What's up one i have some questions for you turbo gurus , whats the difference in a .50 ar compressor housing and a .70 ar housing? will I benefit more from a bigger CH or turbine housing?. This will be on a built sohc ka-t.
I have a 50 trim 63ar now and I don't really want to lose spool time but I'd like to make more power on same boost level or less.
Another option that came to mind was methanol injection or race gas but either way my turbo is getting old and I'd still like to upgrade it.
Thanks in advance for you help fellas

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited by RedTopKA-T; 11-19-2014 at 04:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedTopKA-T For This Useful Post:
Dirtcanhurt089 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 09:26 AM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Turbo talk

Id look into a gtx 3071r or a gtx3076r both very stout turbos my current setup is a 2.2 stroker sr custom manifold i made 270 cams and a few other things specific to help with spool in the design of my build but the guys at garrettt expect me to make full spool around 3k and make over 450whp with A+ tq numbers lol
Old 11-20-2014, 09:26 AM
240sxONE Member

On pump ⛽gas lol
Old 11-20-2014, 03:42 PM
240sxONE Member

I'm sure there are plenty of 30R ka-t builds to check out.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:35 AM
240sxONE Member

To answer your first question the most basic way possible you would benefit from a larger compressor housing. When you take in to consideration the turbo as a whole you need to consider both ends of it. There is a point of things being to big and to small. AR is going to be a ratio of the diameter where if reduces the size of the exhaust inlet. To put it simply a larger turbo for a V8 or a high HP Rb or 2J you would see an AR around 1.0->1.20 on the turbine side. But a smaller displacement you will see numbers from .50-.80. Now, when looking into high HP applications compressor maps become hard to read and plot for the average person. When running basic setups compressor maps are easy to read and plot to determine what your going to get out of a turbo. Compressor maps can also be misleading. Just because your not in the efficiency range doesnt mean you cannot use it for what you are doing. But when you are looking into a turbo, take into consideration CFM as the big player, not PSI. i have a thread in here somewhere about plotting compressor maps and did a few different turbos and how a T25 is the worst turbo for a KA.

here you go.

When you look at this consider the amount of air going in. If the outlet is to small when you will cause exhaust to go back into the cylinder. Also, this is relevant to a compressor housing but they sometimes take the ratio from different areas on the housing. Also, not many choices to AR on off the shelf turbos in the compressor side of it. The hard part is getting the sucker to spin, what comes out the other end is more air dynamics then the engine coming into play. thats strictly on turbo performance not the amount of air the engine can use efficiently, thats another equation in itself.

Last edited by Sr20SilviaS13; 12-03-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:01 PM
240sxONE Member

50 trim 63ar is about the best your gonna get in terms of higher boost without lag for a journal bearing turbo for a ka....if you want more boost without loosing response, your gonna need to go to a ball bearing unit.