240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > General Tech and Style Chat

Old 06-29-2014, 05:49 AM
240sxONE Member

Question How do you deal with New Enlgand winters?

So for those of you who are actually from New England on this forum, what steps have you taken to protect you car from salt and weather, where did you go to get it done, or did you do it yourself? What was the total cost of getting this done, and how do you like the turnout?

I dont plan on driving my car this winter much, if at all, but i have no proper garage so i plan on getting a car cover, and "rust proofing" the underside with some liner. Thoughts and opinions?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:32 AM
your manager of serious internet business

Default Re: How do you deal with New Enlgand winters?

the only true way to protect it is to put your car in storage.

Me personally I drive my car up until the first snow that prompts the city to salt the roads... then the car gets put away. I don't bring it back out until the snow is gone and we get a couple of good rains to wash the salt off the roads or the city pushes out the street sweepers.

if you plan on just covering your car and not driving it in the winter that's fine... the cold, snow, and ice aren't problem it's the road salt that eats up your car.

SilviaV8 Forums | CollectorsEdition.org | My Blog | My Build Thread | My For Sale Thread
Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 AM
240sxONE Member

Oh yeah i know the salt and sand mix is the enemy, sand scratches and the salt oxidizes. I work at a car wash and detail shop so if id o wind up needing to drive i can promptly wash the salt off before putting it away again since i like 5 minutes walking distance from my job, but I'm sure it will get covered again by then. I may try to buy a winter beater but i don't want anything i need to put money into or pay more than 500 for. I'm trying to help myself feel better about owning this car during the winter i guess, no easy solution.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 PM
240sxONE Member

if you have to drive it, just make sure you clean everywhere often
Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM
240sxONE Member

Again, I detail cars for work so my car will be put through an undercarriage wash after every drive on salty roads. I love not 2 minutes driving from work anyhow so i can manage to wash it and get it home before getting it dirty again.

Has anyone gotten the undercarriage lined to prevent rust?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 PM
240sxONE Member

Buy a winter beater with heat for 1000 bucks, put the drift hoe away and star a winter bulid haha
Old 07-04-2014, 01:21 PM
your manager of serious internet business

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycoupe View Post
Buy a winter beater with heat for 1000 bucks, put the drift hoe away and star a winter bulid haha
^this...

having a 2nd car is super handy too if you ever decide to do something to you car that will have it not drivable for a few days until you finish...

trying to build the same car that you drive every day means you'll never be able to do anything serious, nor have the freedom to take your time and do things the right way.

SilviaV8 Forums | CollectorsEdition.org | My Blog | My Build Thread | My For Sale Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to twistedsymphony For This Useful Post:
EpicEric (08-19-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 01:31 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsymphony View Post
^this...

having a 2nd car is super handy too if you ever decide to do something to you car that will have it not drivable for a few days until you finish...

trying to build the same car that you drive every day means you'll never be able to do anything serious, nor have the freedom to take your time and do things the right way.

I've had friends to daily drive their cars at the same time they drift the piss out the car and they've broken parts that left them walking to work and everything it's not wroth it especially in the winter when it's cold as hell.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:34 PM
240sxONE Member

Valid, I will see what I can do about finding a cheap missile (with heat!) for 500 bucks somewhere, but i dont really want it to turn into another project. I just want to restore and build my coupe to beyond its former glory, so ill consider finding a steal of a car around where i live. Its easy to own multiple cars in NH as well.