240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Electrical Tech

Old 08-15-2013, 12:05 AM
240sxONE Member

Default Starting issues

So when i first bought my S13, it had a bad battery but would start fine for the first week or so. It would sometimes idle really low though (around 4-600 rpms) and then one day it just wouldn't start. I noticed that i had the battery light on so i bought a new battery and charged it and put it in and it still wont start. When i hooked up the battery all the lights, electronics worked fine. but when i would turn the key to the point of starting it would just click and short out (i think), if i would try to take the key out and turn the electronics on again nothing would happen. So i unhooked the battery and hooked it up again and the electronics worked again but i had the same problem when i tried to start it. Anyone have any knowledge to give me?

Also no the engine wont turn over at all
Old 08-15-2013, 03:16 PM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to elbowblk
Default Re: Starting issues

your terminals could have a weak connection and may need a thorough cleaning

Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widley available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 PM
240sxONE Member

The battery is brand new, could that still be an issue?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 PM
240sxONE Member

Send a message via AIM to elbowblk

if the terminals are dirty or not on tight enough they wont be able to get enough power from the battery to start no matter how new the battery is. just clean them up with a wire brush and put them back on tightly. hopefully that'll fix it and wont cost you a dime.

Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widley available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 AM
240sxONE Member

Like elbowblk said. Could be the terminals. I had the same kinda issue. Battery was old but it started everytime. But one day i went to go turn the key. And nothing. When lookin at the battery the terminal on the positive side was broke in one spot. Alittle crack. Problly why i had a problem with the idle jumpin around and dim lights. Go to a parts store and switch them out. There cheap. Or if there not cracked just give them a good cleaning. Most of the time when weird stuff starts happening, its because theres not a good connection.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:06 AM
240sxONE Member

Lol Just noticed im kinda late on this one......

Tags
battery, issues, s13, starter, starting