240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 12-20-2009, 02:41 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Carfreak's Widebody coupe (aka Project DoubleTake)

SO i have been a member of ONE since October 2004 and I have never really been that active on the forum until recently. Not many people know about my car and I figured I would finally share with you guys what I have. We will start at the beginning.

My love for 240's began with Gran Tourismo in the late 1990's and really grew when I followed the build up of Sport Compact Car Tech Editor and Geek-At-Large, Dave Coleman's, 1989 240SX Coupe which eventually became know as their Project Silvia. I wanted one badly, and as luck would have it, the summer of 2003, before my Senior year of high school, someone who just moved into my neighborhood was selling an Aztec Red 1993 Coupe Base MT with 192,000mi. I stopped and looked at every day for about 3 weeks before finally growing the balls to write a note and placing it on the car. Finally I got a call and we did some bargaining and i went and test drove it. Not really sure of the car, I waited a couple more weeks then finally made the decision to buy. On November 9th, 2003, I ended up getting the car for $450, it was originally being sold for $1500obo. I drove it for a couple months beating the piss out of it, until January 22nd, 2004 when i spun the #2 Rod bearing due to lack of oil because the front main seal was leaking so badly and i was to naive to realize it. Here are some pics of the car at that point.

SHIFT_The Lady and the Tramp

See my build thread here:http://forums.240sxone.com/showthread.php?t=8394
Old 12-20-2009, 02:42 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Carfreak's Widebody coupe (aka Project DoubleTake)

Good story so far!

Also.. I love the backboard on that hoop! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanelach View Post
Paaats car is the first 240 to actually hurt my ears.
http://pigbombs.blogspot.com
Old 12-20-2009, 03:07 PM
240sxONE Member

Our story continues at the end of April 2004 when i finally got engine #2 and got it all installed and my baby back on her feet again. When I had the engine out, i did some pressure washing and basic cleaning, and removed the ugly OEM style aftermarket wing. Jumping to forward to August 2004, I finally did my first modification and purchased a 80mm Tanabe Racing Medallion Cat-Back exhaust, shortly after this i realized that i didnt like the way the car looked with faded paint and a shiny exhaust so I did the dumb thing and rattle canned the car satin black. Next up for mods were Eibach Sportline Springs, my baby now had a more appropriate stance.

Here is what she looked like at this point.

Fast forwarding to January 22nd, 2005. I had been at WyoTech in Blairsville, PA for 4 months now and I did it again! This time I spun #3 rod bearing. Reason why, driving at way too high of revs all the time (I had this obsession with listening to the tires chirp shifting into third gear). This time i opted on having a shop across the street from where I was living pull the motor, crack open the bottom end, and replace the rod bearing. $1,400 and a month later, she was back on her feet. I drove her that night and then the next morning I headed for Pittsburgh for the World of Wheels car show. I was turning off of the highway and entering into the center of the city when I started hearing an all to familiar sound. I limped the car through the city and just as I was about to turn into the parking lot at the convention center, she threw the rod through the side of block and seized.

My dad and I went through a whole bunch of bull**** with the shop and ended up finding another engine for $400 in NJ, and had it shipped to the same shop that replaced the bearing. Long story short, the shop installed the engine and it didnt run. The place that sold us the motor lied to us and never tested the engine before they sent it to us. More bull**** and we got our money back. I took the car back into my possession and pulled the head, only to find a melted #2 piston. That was it. The final decision was made, the car was now going to be my official project car, and i was going to have to survive without a vehicle until my parents could find one that was within budget.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:21 PM
240sxONE Member

Being at WyoTech, why wouldn't you do the work yourself in the first place?

Nice thread!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 PM
240sxONE Member

Fast forward to August 2005.

DoubleTake finally begins its new life as a project car. First step, new power plant. I was currently taking Chassis Fabrication/High Performance Engines at WyoTech, and DoubleTake needed heart surgery so blood could flow through her veins once again. Thankfully I had a stock pile of three engines to pick and choose from to build her a proper ticker. I started with the block and tore it down to nothing, de-burred and polished any areas I could and then sent it out to get bored out .5mm and decked .010". Next came the rods and crank. I de-burred and polished everything i could on these as well. I must say going at the only good crank you have with a 9in grinder is quite a scary experience. Everything went well though. I also purchased some Supertech 10.5:1 compression chromoly pistons that were completely friction coated. The whole rotating assembly got sent to the machinist and was completely balanced to exacting tolerances. This is when I felt better about the crank, the guy said it was one of the best jobs he had seen anyone do gridng and polishing a crank themselves and he only had to drill to holes to get it balanced. I got everything back and was able to get the engine together and back in its home.

Note: Forgot to mention that i had someone else in the class, port and polish, port match, three angle valve job, and flow bench the head, which is free at WyoTech.

Sorry no pics of engine build.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:24 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96NismoZ View Post
Being at WyoTech, why wouldn't you do the work yourself in the first place?

Nice thread!
I was there for Collision/Refinishing, didnt have the tools or location to do it myself like i did at home, and it was my dd at the time, so the hope at the time was that it would be done quicker than if i could do it myself. That and I didnt have any friends in chassis fab that were willing to take the car on as their class project.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:35 PM
240sxONE Member

Next Chapter: Widebody time!!!!!
Skip ahead some more and I was now in a new class at WyoTech, Street Rod and Custom Fabrication. Yes, it was widebody time. I had spent all my spare time outside of school working on the design for my all metal widebody.

Here is my original idea when i was planning on going Chargespeed Wide Body, but modified.

But realizing that i definitely would not have the money for this and not wanting to jump on the silvia front bandwagon at the time, I came up with this.

Here are the specs on what i did:
- Widened quarter panels two inches on each side
- Widened fenders an inch and a quarter on each side
- Raised wheel well openings up an inch and a half all the way around the car.

Here are the pics that i took during class. They were taken with a fourteen dollar 35mm camera. I will post them ten pics per post.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:41 PM
240sxONE Member

They are in no particular order.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:45 PM
240sxONE Member

Heres ten more

Old 12-20-2009, 03:50 PM
ONE

Send a message via AIM to sdaigle240

moar!

haha i wrote that b4 i saw "heres 10 more" thanks!
ZErOSTyLE

MJL