240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: My 1991 240sx coupe...

edited: deleted because double post.

Last edited by ryan516; 07-17-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Deleting a double post due to internet problems.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 PM
240sxONE Member

BAM! mounted with 3 screws and it fits like a glove! Found cherry red pearl paint under the primer and tar!

And while doing this i had my steering turned to the left and full ock for clearance, and i found a PUDDLE of power steering fluid. Not really a puddle but it was a bit more than your average leak. I put a spot light on it and popped the hood, i took this photo of where the leak was located, it wont upload upright so bear with me.

again the light you see below is where the leak is located, anyone have any advice on how to locate and tackle this SOB? I also have an oil leak on the other side of my motor but that is for another day, this one is much worse.

Progress is awesome even if it means realizing more problems that need to be addressed soon. Almost back to its bad self!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 PM
240sxONE Member

So I grabbed my 5 speed today along with clutch assembly and managed to get it up flights of stairs into my apartment.

The Porch!

As my buddy Ryan and i wee carrying the tranny up to my main entrance a guy in a mustang drove by laughing, at 11pm i don't blame him! Today was a good day. I still need to purchase a drive shaft, crossmember, master, slave, shifter assembly, and a clutch kit. Time to make another list!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 AM
240sxONE Member

good luck with the progress dude!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 PM
240sxONE Member

Thank you for the kind words! Just trying to do it right this time, not ruin the car or go to jail lol. Baby steps! The universe has been good to me so far!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:42 AM
240sxONE Member

So after a lot of working and sourcing parts im down to the final nitty gritty. I have a comp clutch stage 3 "white bunny" Z clutch and flywheel setup along with direct lines for the master and slave which i also have ready to go! I sourced a 5 speed driveshaft and got some se wheels out of the deal as well. I have pretty much everything i need for the swap aside from the clutch release bushing and bearing, clutch release bearing retainer clip, bell housing hardware (i have all of the part numbers for these), motor mounts (CS poly), shifter return springs/ and shifter bushings.

I have a good friend making me a solid trans mount at the moment as well, i also found a clean radio bezel with a decent shift boot and all the clips in tact. I just need a solid lower shift boot to prevent fumes from getting in the cabin. So this is just a quick update, im going to have all of my parts in the mail by next thursday then it will be off to my buddys school for the swap!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:08 PM
240sxONE Member

So after a lot of planning and waiting on parts its finally done! Big ups to Michael Fabbiano for doing that swap at his school for me, he did an awesome job! So i have the white bunny clutch in and the tranny mounts from circuit sports feel awesome, waiting to put in the motor mounts in the spring as well since we ran out of time. I also picked up a few goodies for the interior and one is thanks to my awesome supportive girlfriend!

I just need to pick up a boss hub, and a quick release when i find one i like, but this thing is too pretty for words.

I also grabbed this beauty from gemstoneshiftknobs . com its a hand cut and polished Quartz spere with iron inclusions causing the golden appearance. This too has to be seen in person but im so excited to finally have these two pieces Ive been aiming for from the start. I am a huge rock collector so its a big win in my book, and its so comfy!

Another thing I managed to check off my list was this 89 carpet that i pressure washed and dyed black with fabric dye, and it came out epic. Going for gold with this interior. Next is to replace my only broken interior trim piece and get new seats.

I also picked up this new garnish with a silvia logo on it that isnt dented, now i just need a trunk and to fix my doors, replace the hood with my clean one and pull dents out of everywhere else.

until next time!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:53 AM
240sxONE Member

So since the last update during this winter, i have been pretty much driving the car as little as possible, and now spring is on its way. Its only been truly nice out for 2 or 3 days now and I have spent every hour working on my car. I need a new waterpump, and front main seal, and my calipers are leaking out. I have those in the mail from rockauto along with coolant upper and lower hoses, belts, and new calipers for the rear. Those problems had the car sitting so ive taken that time to clean and gut the car and start restoring the interior which i will get into once i have photos of the finished work. Heres how she sat the day i parked it

Then I got to work replacing my clean oem tails with some Dmax style sauce, and when I had everything apart I grabbed some rustolium regal red and primed and sprayed over the yellow section of bumper and blended for now. No means a permanent solution, but it looks good from 5 feet away and its not yellow.

So im happy with how that came out and while i was tearing that apart, I gutted the rear half of the car and trunk interior for a refurbishing. The door cards are also out buy more on that stuff later.

Im planning on driving the car gutted while finishing the repairs i have to do in the next two weeks for some fun to see how it feels, then full interior is coming back. I also managed to snag a pair of 97 s14 kouki seats for a good price locally, and those will be going in along with the "new" carpet, steering wheel, hub, QR, and all the interior trim I removed. The seats..

The centers have a really dope color contrast in the lines between pink and blue gradients, you cant see too well in these cellphone pics.

So I'm in love with those and for the last update, I picked up a Silvia trunk from Florida earlier this year and I just got it back to me! RyanZombie helped me swap the lock cylinders from my old trunk over to this one so i could use my old key. Planning on getting a spare made soon too! Sorry for the dark photos It was done at night.

Trunk is from a Silvia Q and has some goodies, aside from the obvious oval lock. That's about it for now, ill post more photos of progress and take tons of photos as usual. I love this car more and more every day.

Last edited by ryan516; 03-11-2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: photos not uploading properly
Old 06-25-2015, 02:45 PM
240sxONE Member

So heres an update! It's been exactly 1 year of owning the coupe and its come a long way since i picked it up. The 89 transmission i used to do the manual conversion grenaded on me doing a burnout on wet ground when i hit a dry patch and incinerated 2nd gear. I picked up a 96 s14 sr20 trans for 250 at Granite State Dyno and tossed that in and i also put in my CS poly motor mounts. The car has some vibration mostly at idle but I really dont mind at all. As you can see i added a headlight control switch for lit sleepy eyes, and my interior is also finished!

The nardi makes my loins rustle, I'm also starting to enjoy my door panels/glovebox/center console i refinished in a micro fiber material.

I also relocated the battery to behind the passenger seat, and will be removing a bit of rust from where the battery used to sit, its not pretty. Looks like an old battery leaked all over the tray, tubs may be a good idea down the line. Im trying to repair all the rust before winter storage happens this year.

I also decided to attend my first drift event EVER, and the car performed amazing, and I got alot of positive feed back form people i really look up to so that was a huge surprise. The cars rack is starting to go, and tie rods are still in need of an upgrade but aside from that the car is 100% good to slide, very controlled and predicable, the lightweight flywheel really keeps the rpms up on the stock ka24 as well. Cant wait to get some 3rd gear slides going august 29th. I attended Dspots Junemanji and had a blast!

As the day got later the runs got wider, faster, and more aggressive. It was the best feeling in the world being able to drive the balls off my car with no anxiety.

I also got to pit with some friends from my home town I have known since my childhood, it was awesome to shred with my friends and making new ones. Always cool to see where everyone winds up in life.

I could do this forever. Time for oil change tires and tie rods, and a header upgrade is also under way. Thanks to all the crazy awesome dudes who keep me on the road and motivated to do what i love!
Old 06-26-2015, 03:06 PM
240sxONE Member

Grab a set of moog s14 inner and outer tie rods, they're longer. It'll help out if you ever run modded knuckles for more angle.