240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 05-28-2014, 05:09 AM
240sxONE Member

Default RHD V-mount 1JZ Coupe (a sequel to the prequel)

To start off, this will be documentation of the transformation from a s14 SR20det engine, to a tubbed V-mount VVT-i 1JZ. All of this work is done by my father and I in our small 1.5 car garage, during spare time, and is all custom work (minus the driveshaft and intercooler core which are the last items to purchase).

*I do not have a computer at home currently so all updates will be done during down time on the over-night shift, and may be scarce, but ill do my best to keep up with it.**

I have owned this coupe since some time in 2000, yes, 14 years ago, and it was my first car, while still in high school. It has taken many turns, and seen many phases and stages, but one thing is for sure, its not going anywhere unless i put it through a wall beyond recognition!

As a few may recall, I was originally deciding between a NEO RB25 and a 2JZ, until doing more research, and decided on the newest ETCS-i version 1JZ, which is a 9.0:1 compression ratio and utilizes one of Toyota's most advanced turbochargers, the CT-15b, to produce a claimed 280hp/ with 280tq at a low 2400rpm! Little did i know, i would end up with 3 of them!

As this picture vaguely explains, basically I could not find the proper ecu pinout, at least not one that had me convinced it was correct, so i traced every wire from the ecu and made my own pinout. It is interesting to note how many sensors and vital signals branch off from a single wire in some cases.

With the assistance of a couple fellow members, we managed to get the engine to fire hanging off an engine hoist.... that was fun! I'll see if i can find the video clip at some point.

Next on the agenda, after hearing the engine fire, was to start mocking up placement in the engine bay, so one of the spares became a torn down mock up unit for the time being... Let the cutting begin...

Some may wonder why theres a huge chunk of the firewall missing, and may comment on why I did not opt for off the shelf conversion mounts, the answer is simple (to me anyways)...

I want a few things out of this setup.
First off, I want the weight placed as far back as possible, while maintaining the heater core.
Second, I want the best response possible, via about a total of 1 foot of intercooler piping.
Third, shifter placement of the R154 transmission without using or making an extension....
And lastly (I think lastly), the factory sway bar clears the sump without even close to a clearance issue, which i was AMPED about most!

Here's a couple pics of my retired GReddy V-SPL core that i was using as reference to clearances. This size is perfect to me, and I will be looking for a core of equal size with the inlet/outlet facing straight back.

And an initial mock up of the V-mount.

Center section of the radiator support is removable for obvious conveniences.

After trimming a decent amount off the Origin bumper.... It fits, yay! The holes.... love em or hate em, but i know this will aid even further in the cooling department, and thats what its all about to me.

Along with the efficiency theme, the V-mount now has vertical diversion panels on either side of the radiator, boxing the unit in. All the air entering the large orifice in the bumper/holes, is forced through the radiator and intercooler cores, then pushed out the top via the TPF fiberglass vented hood.

Stay tuned for more images and updates, as I have to upload more to my photobucket library.

Any questions/ comments/ concerns, positive or negative, id like to hear them.

Til next time, Jim
Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: RHD V-mount 1JZ Coupe (a sequel to the prequel)

Lots of fab left to do. Looks good.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:05 PM
240sxONE Member

Looks like a fun project, love 1jz's
Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 AM
240sxONE Member

Fast spooling jz. Love that

Old 07-07-2014, 02:26 AM
240sxONE Member

Thanks everyone.

So i havent had much progress on the chassis side of things, however, I placed an order for a new intercooler core designed for a rx-7 v-mount configuration, so I am excited for its arrival, and with some assistance from the wifey, i also got to do this:

So needless to say, im still pretty amped on whats getting accomplished!

Jim
Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 AM
240sxONE Member

That color is lussssssh
Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 PM
240sxONE Member

I love gooooooolllllld.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:16 PM
240sxONE Member

Another small update:

Received the new core last Friday, was a little nervous about everything fitting due to its size, but I am really happy I spent the time measuring and using the old core as a reference. Could not ask for a better fit! There is a total of 14 inches of piping through the entire setup.

Enough blahblah.....

(The bumper is not fitted correctly)

I'd like to get some feedback, questions, comments, concerns.... It is always beneficial to hear an outside view.

Next step is to finish bracing the core to the diversion panels beside the radiator, and to fabricate an upper panel to direct air to escape through the hood vent.

Thanks for looking!

Jim
Old 07-15-2014, 08:03 AM
240sxONE Member

looks good, id like to see aluminum intcooler piping in there. that steel will get pretty hot. Also idk if your just mocking up couplers but they wont hold being that short, and did you do any bead rolling?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 AM
240sxONE Member

Definitely looks awesome. As previously stated, the piping looks a bit janky. Hope it's just for mock up purposes