240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Unregistered

Send a message via Skype™ to drummingpariah
Default Re: s30 Daily Driver build

One last alignment of all the 'core components' this weekend, then turned tack welds into 'for keeps' welds.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 PM
Unregistered

MORE VIDEOS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/rbBYXc9UmkI
Old 01-26-2017, 11:35 AM
Unregistered

This one's pretty short. Filming and building the car is pretty expensive, in terms of hours and dollars. Especially in the beginning (before we had a solid process established), that meant that we didn't get a lot of footage for some of these episodes.

Maybe at some point, we'll open up some fund-raising opportunities to help fund the video series. Would anyone be interested in contributing to something like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk2yX59jTs4
Old 02-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Unregistered

The Mt Washington Selection Committee is going through the arduous task of selecting who they accept to race in 2017, and I'm absolutely on the edge of my seat with anticipation. With 99 entries and only ~45 slots, our chances are fair of being selected. If Driven Daily is on the honored list, we have to double down and focus even harder on that deadline. If not, we'll have 3 years to shake the car down before the next event.

Week04's episode is a bit behind schedule, but that's because we've been rushing to get the project caught back up. We just mocked up the cockpit to make sure we have sufficient room for everything with the cage in its current state, and I'm very very happy. The 'foundation' of the cage is complete, and we can move on to more exciting parts of the car.

This weekend: Front suspension (finally!)

Last edited by drummingpariah; 02-02-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: mt washington
Old 02-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Unregistered

Still working on getting the next video ready to publish, but in the meantime here's a real-world update.

The doors have a good tooling gelcoat on them, and are ready to pull molds. Once that's done, these doors go from 75lbs to around 5lbs.

I have a couple sets of front suspension to test out. I don't know the springrates, but have re-valving kits galore.

I'm still on the waitlist for Climb to the Clouds, so I don't know if I'll need to have the body finished this season or not. If I'm only racing the standard hillclimb events, I just need cabin protection. If I'm racing Mt Washington, I'll need to finish up the bodywork and make it look presentable. To prepare for that, I've started building out the fender plugs for the body molds.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Unregistered

I finished up the molds for the doors today (2.5 layers of 10oz chop mat).

While that was curing, I finally trained myself on the vinyl cutter that Roland donated to the Makerspace a couple of months ago. Sometimes I'm surprised by the little changes that really get me excited to make big progress. Making a silly sticker is one of those little inspiring things.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Unregistered

Now comes some more hard math. Finishing the jig for the front suspension was quite an ordeal, if I'm honest. The g35/350z front clip that I had purchased wasn't exactly straight, so I decided to pick a side and build a jig that could be used on both sides of the car. This is the result of around 20 hours of 'braining' and a half hour of cutting, drilling, and welding.

It allows me to place the subframe on the chassis table and establish my suspension pickup points in thin air. Then it's just 'connect the dots' between the pickup points and the roll cage structure I've already built.

In other news, I'm getting closer to finished on the profile for the rear quarters. They're coming along pretty nicely, I'd say.

Last edited by drummingpariah; 02-13-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

The first door mold didn't come out perfectly, it was a bit too cold during curing, and we didn't use enough MEKP in a few spots.

However, this weekend was a massive success. We added leveling feet to the base of the chassis, chopped out a bunch of parts, and now suspension is ready to weld in! This is a major milestone, and we could even see this car rolling around next weekend.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:20 AM
240sxONE Member

Keep up the good work! I worked as a volunteer for the last two Climb To The Clouds and I am scheduled to work this years as well. I am also a very long time volunteer for the New England Forest Rally (going on 13 years now i think). Hope to meet you up on the mountain.

SHIFT_The Lady and the Tramp

See my build thread here:http://forums.240sxone.com/showthread.php?t=8394
Old 02-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Unregistered

NEFR is pretty awesome too, but the Datsun won't be legal for it. If I finish my CRX at some point, I'd love to stage rally that. Climb to the Clouds is pretty incredible, and it's even more exciting because it only happens every three years. I would love the opportunity to drive it this year, if everything works out for me.

As for today, I lit myself on fire.

I was removing the mounting pins (studs? bolts?) from the g35 front suspension so I could align the pickup points in the Datsun, and that meant a lot of cutting and grinding. I should really have fired up the lathe and just made some from scratch ... but I chose to do it the hard way.

In the end though, I have all 6 pins necessary to locate the front suspension. Hopefully this week I can weld the pickup points in place.