240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Engine and Drive-line Tech

Old 04-27-2015, 08:07 AM
240sxONE Member

Default Progressively Richer Idle/Leans out at Top

Salutations,

So my car has been running very strange over the past 7 months of driving. I'm switching to Nismotronic and i don't want to go to the tuner and realize there is a larger issue than just needing a re-tune because to me, it sounds like something is going bad.

Timeline:

Tuned and ran great

Swapped stock intake plenum to Isis (freddy) maybe 8 months after

~ 3 months later I noticed once my car idled for around 10 - 15 seconds it would go from 14.7 - low 13's high 12's, pressing the gas would rev and hold at 14.7 again and repeat symptoms.

Now, it's Richer (10's - 12's at idle) and Wthere isn't any wait it's just straight to 10's - 12's once car is stopped AND after 5k RPMs (under 11lbs Boost) it leans out to 16s and 17s.

My concern (maybe i'm just being a bitch) is that the Intake plenum upgrade isn't the issue and when i go tune, it's something else.

Mods:
AFPR - Circuit Sport
Walbro
Z32 maf
550cc injectors (Stock rail)
Isis Intake Manifold
Nistune
S15 Turbo (11lbs, exactly what it's tuned for)
Megan Tubular manifold/Elbow/Downpipe
CatCo Hi-Flow Cat
FMIC
XRP 20 micron filter

Troubleshooting done:

Checked all Couplers
Plugged in nistune and ran some logs and nothing looks bad
Injector Duty doesn't go past 60%
Swapped z32 Maf with a different one
Re-wired Fuel pump relay because the connector was cracked, re-pinned the AC Con fan connector. (not the relay, just the relay input connector)
Calibrated Wideband

I've ordered a new Tomei FPR in hopes to provide an upgrade over Circuit Sport and also thinking that there is something wrong with the CS-AFPR.

The Walbro doesn't have too much life on it, maybe 25k miles over 5 years. If that is alot, then i'll replace that as well. I

Last edited by spineshankzx; 04-28-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:18 AM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Progressively Richer Idle/Leans out at Top

Update:

Since i've done exhaust work on the car recently, It occured to me that the Cat could be on backwards.

I took it off, ran open Downpipe and had the same rich ass idle as before. Put the cat back on the correct way and re-calibrated the wideband and sensor once more.

I also replaced the CC AFPR with a Tomei Type S. Same issues are present. At this point I don't quite know what to do. I've emailed my Tuner and sent in the logs and he said it's all good and this is just a symptom of an Untuned Intake Manifold install.

Re-tune should fix this.