240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Build Threads and Project Logs

Old 03-31-2017, 08:12 PM
Unregistered

Send a message via Skype™ to drummingpariah
Default Re: s30 Daily Driver build

Week07 is live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfgNOELl_0
Old 05-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Unregistered

Send a message via Skype™ to drummingpariah
Default Re: s30 Daily Driver build

Well, the s30 definitely won't be ready for the first hillclimb event (Ascutney) but we've been making brisk progress on it lately. This weekend we changed gears a little, and put some time into the race hauler instead of the race car.

I had made the mistake of ordering a gasoline filler neck for it a few months ago, which doesn't accept the larger diesel fillers (I didn't know this until I stopped for a fillup). It's still held up by a bungee cord, but at least I don't have to remove the filler from the tube every time I want to fill the tank any more.

Up next: The coolant system had a slow leak for awhile, but it recently became critical (which is why I parked it). We spent some time isolating the source of the leak, finding the right(ish) replacement hose, and breaking our fingers to get them to fit in place.

Then we turned our attention to the interior. Ugh. Just ... It was disgusting. This used to be a roofing truck, so there's tar everywhere on it. Seats, in the box, all over the dash, steering wheel ... everywhere. The floor had some housing carpet pad with vinyl on top, and wasn't sealed. Everything smelled of mildew and sadness, and the whole truck just felt soggy. After tearing out the flooring, we found enough dirt to plant a garden. It may have been growing, for all I know. That channel above the rockers had around 6" of packed-in mud.

After a lot of cleaning, wire wheeling, and some phosphoric acid, we threw a bit of primer & paint at it.

I haven't decided what kind of long-term coating to put on it yet. I have a bunch of POR15 left over, but I don't know how well it'll hold up to this kind of environment. I'm open to any suggestions you folks might have. Everything's reassembled right now, and the next project will be finishing up the box itself (hopefully this week).