240sxONE Forums

Go Back   240sxONE Forums > 240sxONE Tech and Style > Engine and Drive-line Tech

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
OEM/JDM 23 57.50%
ATI 7 17.50%
Ross Tuff Bond 1 2.50%
Power Bond Race 2 5.00%
Go Fast Bits/Greddy/Unorthodox (solid type) 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Discussion/Opinions: Crank Pulley, Harmonic Balancer/Damper

I'm looking around at options for replacing the OEM unit. Really, I would like to ask what you would choose or what you prefer from your experiences.

I took this from ozdat as I think it's a good write-up of the options. I quoted, but cleaned it up and only changed the $ prices of the pulleys I found. I'll put my opinions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spandex
Ok here is a write up I wanted to do to help some of the Sr guys out.
After rebuilding many sr20's and playing around with every little thing I can to make more power out of them
Here is some info to help others out.

OEM

Factory SR20 balancer, Good factory item, Being factory balanced is great for the high HP factory engine.
After some of s13 Sr20's coming on their 20th Bday, They where out and the crank starts to walk, leading to out of round
Crankshaft mains, This problem will lead to engine main bearing damage. Most are ok with 150rwks etc, But after making more power the age is their biggest killer. And alot of them have chips on them as well.
Also in the racing/high rpm needs of the sr20, The factory crank pulley belt ratio is too large for the Sr20 water pump, At high rpm the water pump spins too far and can not flow coolant, Leading to engine damage like head gaskets, worn rings over heating. They can pop a head gasket in a blink of an eye if water temp is too high.
You can overcome this with a under-driven water pump pulley setting you back around $120ish. Or go for a full all out electrical water pump system costing $500+

Price is $150

Aftermarket Replacement balancers:

ATI

ATI 918582 Super Damper Harmonic Crank Pulley for SR20DET. This truly balanced crank pulley was made to eliminate torsional crankshaft vibrations caused by abnormal wear. It is a direct replacement for the OEM crank pulley. Made to exceed SFI 18.1 Specs with laser engraved timing marks. The ATI Super Damper is also coated with black zinc chromate to prevent rust and reduce wear. The Super Damper is not under driven and retains stock belt ratios. Approximate weight of the pulley itself is about 5.7 lbs.

Pro's: Biggest name on the Aftermarket balancer list,Proven to work, looks great
Con's:Factory belt ratio, not good for high rpm race cars with out a water pump pulley.

Price is around $375-$400

Ross Tuff Bond

# 360 timing marks at 1° intervals
# Adjustable timing disc, for TDC accuracy
# Precision CNC machined 40 Tonne tensile alloy steel hub and vibration dampening ring
# Dampening ring and hub permanently bonded together on TWO axis by our exclusive Tuffbond elastrometric bonding process, ensuring maximum harmful vibrations are absorbed.
# balancer is anodized for durability and appearance
# Absorbs more damaging torsional harmonic vibrations
# Quicker engine acceleration
# Increases engine life
# Lifetime warranty, even for racing use - a world first!
# Never requires maintenance or rebuilding - ever!
# Rated to 1500 HP
# Encapsulated MetaL Jacket® design exceeds AN DRA and SF1 i8.1(USA) requirements
# Fits standard or modified engines
# Affordably priced

Pro's: Great local made unit, Looks great, Works great, LOTS of info about them, how they work, testing etc.
Also CAN NOT go past the life time warranty..

Con's: Only thing belt ratio, but they are made as a factory replacement and do a great job at that, so hardly a negative for most

Price:I think around $500.

Power Bond Race

The Nissan Sylvia 200SX and the SR20 turbo engine are one of the world's most popular 4 clyinder performance combinations. making big power from these engines is easy but severly tests the safety and durability of many parts including the harmonic balancer.

All serpentine belt engines including the Nissan benefit from under-driving the accessory pulleys to reduce parasitic power losses from the alternator, air conditioning, water pump and power steering at high engine RPMs. A smaller, lighter harmonic balancer is like a lightweight flywheel and can sharpen throttle response and allow the engine to rev out faster.

Powerbond have now released a 25% under drive billet steel balancer for the SR20 that is SFI approved for all forms of motor sport. The precision CNC machined steel hub and inertia ring is assembled using Powerbond's pressure bonded rubber eliminating balancer separation and spinning. Every Powerbond unity is dynamically balanced at the factory for smooth running at ultra high RPMs.

Pro's: Unit looks great, light weight, well built, nice finish and been around for years.under driven by 25% so its the balancer for race sr20's on a budget but don't want to cheap out on a important item such as this.
Local made as well.

Con's: They sometimes need to be honed to fit the crank as they make them to tightest factory crankshaft spec. Which is good but a pain if you buy one on friday and want to go racing on the weekend.

Price: $260, Crazy cheap,

Go Fast Bits
Lighten crank pulley.

Without trying to sound clichéd, the GFB SR20DET lightweight underdrive crank pulley is new and improved! Of course, it can't be both new AND improved, so we'll go with improved!

It has been re-designed to further reduce weight, and more importantly, a steel wear sleeve has been fitted to the oil seal running surface (shown below) to greatly increase pulley longevity and eliminate potential oil leaks caused by wear over time.

Suits SR20DE and SR20DET engine in rear-wheel drive configuration only

Pro's: It looks nice.
Con's: It is NOT a balancer, it is infact a lighten crank pulley which is a big NO NO!!!.
It will not do its job,let the crankshaft walk,damage front and rear oil seals. and in turn is NOT upgrade,
Sand blast the factory unit and anodize it, Just stay away from this unit. It is not a balancer at all
Personally, I think OEM is a good option...the only other CON not mentioned above is that it would take nearly 1-2 months for me to get a new one since it's not a U.S. item. I've been looking for awhile now to get a used one and they are hard to come by(sorry ctsedan )

I'm not going to get on the 50/50 argument wagon about whether or not to use a solid aluminum type...so for the sake of this thread, I'm playing it better safe then sorry and eliminating it from my vote.

I do like the Ross and the ATI, but really? $400+ for a pulley?

The Powerbond unit seems ok. However, I'd like to search for more reviews on the actual damping characteristics. I'm curious if the 25% underdrive really would have any other negative effects. I'm also assuming I'd need all new belts.

Last edited by 0wn3r; 06-02-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Discussion/Opinions: Crank Pulley, Harmonic Balancer/Damper

Anything to do with balancing i like OEM. They were the ones to test the engine for reliabilty test to begin with... I doubt ATI or any aftermarket company has tested various brand new SRs for reliabilty.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:51 PM
240sxONE Member

http://www.nepastreetracing.com/foru...4280#post44280

Go there and read it it tell ALL about pulleys

by the way ATI FTW
Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
240sxONE Member

ATI has tested there pulleys up to 15k rpms by the way
Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM
240sxONE Member

Not a member of that forum to access that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Drifter View Post
ATI has tested there pulleys up to 15k rpms by the way
I'm guessing synergy meant that they may not have tested on an actual SR engine...rather likely just followed design specs. That would be another thing to look into.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM
240sxONE Member

You can test it all you want on a bench. But these aftermarket companys are marketing their product as a "More power" item. Nissan made theirs OEM as a This will last as long as the engine now lets make it as cheap as possible. They wouldnt make something that only lasted 20-30k miles and if they did there would have been a recall.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Discussion/Opinions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
You can test it all you want on a bench. But these aftermarket companys are marketing their product as a "More power" item. Nissan made theirs OEM as a This will last as long as the engine now lets make it as cheap as possible. They wouldnt make something that only lasted 20-30k miles and if they did there would have been a recall.
Are you implying all aftermarket dampeners don't help you bring more power to the table? Because they do.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 PM
240sxONE Member

If you haven't read this yet, do it. http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...mper_dinan.htm
Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
240sxONE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96NismoZ View Post
If you haven't read this yet, do it. http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...mper_dinan.htm
yeah, that's pretty much what I've been reading though. Not to sum the entire article up in just a few characters, but I'm going to:

our damper > solid

But from there, I'm not really seeing makes a $400-500 ATI or Ross better than a $200 damper?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:09 PM
240sxONE Member

Default Re: Discussion/Opinions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96NismoZ View Post
Are you implying all aftermarket dampeners don't help you bring more power to the table? Because they do.

Im implying that Aftermarket dampners were made specificly FOR making more power while id like to think Nissan made it with more reliabilty in mind.